Talk

Advanced search

Would this work?

(12 Posts)
Mishy1234 Sun 29-May-11 17:26:46

DS2 is 1 next week and I was thinking of making his birthday cake. I don't want to make one of my usual iced creations, so was thinking of a simple victoria sponge with cream inside and on top with strawberries to decorate. To minimise the sugar content, I was thinking of making just a crushed strawberry sauce to go inside instead of jam (no sugar like a couli) or even just sliced strawberries.

Do you think that would work? I don't think I'll reduce the sugar in the cake itself (unless you think I'd get away with it), but don't want to add sugar elsewhere if I can help it (so DS2 and his friends can have some).

AliceWorld Sun 29-May-11 17:29:26

Sounds delicious, can I have a slice? Sure it would work.

ShirleyKnot Sun 29-May-11 17:32:19

How about just cream in the middle and on the top with the strawberries to decorate?

A Coulis might be a bit too wet?

ShirleyKnot Sun 29-May-11 17:33:01

Or a reduced sugar jam?

AliceWorld Sun 29-May-11 17:35:32

Would the cream not result in a barrier that would stop the wetness getting through? That was my thought process (which was distracted by the droolingness)

littleomar Sun 29-May-11 17:37:50

i think whipped cream and sliced strawberries in the middle and maybe just the tiniest dusting of icing sugar on top would be yummy. you could assemble it just before you eat it thern you won't have to worry about it going soggy.

ShirleyKnot Sun 29-May-11 17:48:14

A cream barrier? Hmm, but the top sponge would still get soggy I think.

I think littleomar has the best suggestion. Unless op fancies going down a different route quite interesting I like the idea of substituting the sugar in the cake with fruit (but would totally avoid artificial sweeteners TBH)

applechutney Sun 29-May-11 23:14:43

Or you could decide that using your normal cake filling might not cause permanent/potentially life-threatening damage to your one year-old. grin

Mishy1234 Mon 30-May-11 16:25:56

Thanks for all the ideas!

applechutney - DS2 has already had his fill of sugary cakes (courtesy of his brother who likes feeding him!), but a lot of the other babies are a bit younger (10m) and their parents are avoiding too much sugar.

Mishy1234 Mon 30-May-11 16:30:46

ShirleyKnot - thanks for the link. Some good ideas there.

purplepidjin Mon 30-May-11 16:38:42

Love the link but since when was a cake containing molasses considered "no sugar"? hmm

LCarbury Mon 30-May-11 16:42:20

Our local cake shop does a really nice sponge cake with cream + pineapple in the filling and cream and strawberries on the top. I can tell you now, it is delicious.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: