Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me your Brownie recipe!

(17 Posts)
bebejones Sat 28-May-11 17:26:16

I am after the best Brownie recipe ever! grin

What I am looking for is dark & fudgy, not too gooey, not too dry. It need to hold it's shape when cut & be very indulgent! Must not be too deep either 1.5cm ish is perfect. I have a 20cm (8") square tin.

Have tried several. None are what I am after!

I am on a mission! grin

plebshire Sat 28-May-11 17:28:47

Nigella's flourless brownies are very good. I always have to cook them way beyond the time she recommends but they stay squidgy.

MadamDeathstare Sat 28-May-11 17:43:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bebejones Sat 28-May-11 17:45:12

Thanks, shall add it to my list to try. Have just given her 'everyday brownies' a go...not impressed really, but I think my tin was too small & they are a bit deep so didn't cook well, so probably my fault not Nigella's!

bebejones Sat 28-May-11 17:46:31

MadamDeathstare - they sound scrummy! Also added to 'the list'!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 28-May-11 22:25:45

I have nothing to add to your list. I'd just like to eat them! grin

fivegomadindorset Sat 28-May-11 22:26:41

Hummingbird Bakery ones, never do anything else.

franke Sat 28-May-11 22:34:45

These are really good. If you feel a bit iffy about the beetroot, just cut it up really small after you've grated it so that it gets lost in the brownie mix. The beetroot helps keep the brownie moist and they'll keep for several days and not dry out.

bebejones Sun 29-May-11 10:18:44

Oooh yes, Hummingbird ones...they are on the list!

Beetroot? hmm Won't knock it til I've tried it! grin

Piste - tut tut! wink

LadyGrace Mon 30-May-11 17:58:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Taffeta Mon 30-May-11 18:15:17

Oh there was a thread on this last year. Over 100 posts.

Nigel Slater's are the best BUT you HAVE to refrigerate them once they are cooled otherwise you can't cut them and they are too gooey. Refrigerate for 2 hours minimum, then cut into squares and remove from tin. Keep in tupperware or similar in the fridge. Take out about an hour before you want to eat. The perfect brownie. I always make in a 20cm square brownie tin and I guess they are about the depth you mention, and are VERY rich.

bebejones Mon 30-May-11 18:31:04

Have made the Oreo cookie ones before. They are SO rich & almost sickly I think. (But damn good! wink)

Have used an old recipe I had & actually they came out perfect, just what I wanted. Was searching high & low & the right thing was under my nose, scawled in my recipe notebook all along!

Taffeta - these ones I have made are v gooey & need to be put in the fridge before cutting too...maybe it's the same recipe?!

Taffeta Mon 30-May-11 19:04:04

Probably, bebe, here they are so you can check

TastesLikePanda Wed 08-Jun-11 21:25:49

This one here Toffee Brownies is awesome.
Everytime I make them I have to give the recipe out many times. They need a lot of 'fridging' after they are made and they are best if you use dark chocolate. I recently have been faffing about with the quantities and left out some of the dark chocolate but added some white chocolate chunks into them - they went down rather well smile

TastesLikePanda Wed 08-Jun-11 21:27:12

Oh and when it says on my recipe 'Cut into 16 pieces' I always cut into at least 30, they are so rich and squidgy...

aseriouslyblondemoment Fri 10-Jun-11 09:51:36

agree with taffeta{wavessmile}that nigel slater's are the best.
and yes it was fun swopping all those recipes on that thread!
tbh,it really depends on what type of texture you like,a gooey brownie or a cakie one

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 11-Jun-11 18:55:26

I did the Hugh F-W cocoa brownie yesterday. But had to cook it a fair bit longer. Not cakey, not gooey. Sticky and very difficult to slice so they had to be sliced big. wink All eaten now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now