Talk

Advanced search

chickpeas - dried....could you cook in a slow cooker?

(12 Posts)
MummyElk Tue 24-May-11 20:15:40

so tinned chickpeas are getting pretty bloody expensive. so i bought dried ones in a bid to save money.
They are currently boiling away after a day of soaking.
my question is - anyone had any success with cooking them over a whole day in a slow cooker?

kingprawntikka Tue 24-May-11 20:34:28

I'm Not sure about this ... don't slow cookers only heat to around 98 degrees so below boiling point. I could be wrong but I think you need to boil dried pulses.

CMOTdibbler Tue 24-May-11 20:40:30

They won't cook properly alas.

Soak and cook loads, then freeze them in tin size portions

Mollymax Tue 24-May-11 21:20:22

My slow cooker gets to boiling point. I often see it bubbling away. Unless i am wrong, this should be at boiling point.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 25-May-11 11:05:04

Chickpeas and other dried pulses need to be rapidly boiled for 10 minutes before simmering in order to deal with toxins that can otherwise make them indigestible and give you stomach-ache. I would recommend the soak, cook and freeze method..... cook fully before adding to the slow-cooker.

becknotts Wed 25-May-11 13:56:12

They won't cook in a slow cooker, even all day, they need proper boiling for 30-40 minutes.
However if you cook a lot of beans and pulses might consider a pressure cooker for example
- Well-soaked chickpeas will cook to perfection 9 minutes, plus about 10 minutes to depressurise.
-Dried chickpeas can also be cooked directly in a pressure cooker. Add approximately 3 times as much water as chickpeas, and add a small amount of oil to reduce foaming. Cooking time is 40 to 50 minutes.

MummyElk Wed 25-May-11 21:26:07

ooh thank you people, much appreciated... Glad to have freezer tips too.
interesting about the pressure cooker as well, becknotts, my Dad used to swear by them.
thank you - i knew you'd have the answers smile

PasstheTwiglets Thu 26-May-11 06:12:21

How spooky, I just came on here to ask the very same thing! MummyElk, never mind the cost, the dried ones are SO much nicer.

I'm sure I've heard that you do the 10 min rapid-boiling thing and then add them to the slow-cooker and lots of recipes on the web seem to suggest that, though I've never done it myself.

frans Thu 26-May-11 15:08:15

I cooked mine on high for 3 hours then added everything else and cooked them on slow for 6 hours, they were fine. I think toxins are only an issue with kidney beans.

superoz Thu 26-May-11 21:19:22

I have cooked mine in the slow cooker before, they need to be soaked first, then boiled them for 10 mins and left them overnight to cook with a tsp of bicarbonate. Worked for me.

mollycuddles Thu 26-May-11 21:23:40

I use them - soak overnight and cook with chorizo and chicken and tinned tomatoes. Gorgeous.

flibbertigibbert Sat 28-May-11 14:53:55

I've cooked mine in the slow cooker - 3 hours on high and they turn out fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now