Talk

Advanced search

Your best soup recipes please!

(12 Posts)
spilttheteaagain Tue 17-May-11 21:07:58

I've just managed a lovely pea soup and last week a very tasty carrot and coriander. This is part of trying to eat more cheaply so looking for tasty but not expensive recipes.

I would love some recipes for:
-Lentil soup
-Onion /French onion soup
-Minestrone
-Any soup type concoction with chickpeas and/or chorizo

And any others you like!

COCKadoodledooo Tue 17-May-11 22:38:52

Onion soup dead easy! Finely slice onions (lots - number depends on how much you want to make!). Big ones best. Sweat in butter until soft with a couple of cloves of garlic, and a grind of black pepper. Chuck in some beef stock and simmer until you're ready for it!

Lentils I tend to either do pea and ham (though mostly use red lentils to make it because I forget to buy split peas) or a spicy tomato-ey one (onion, garlic tinned toms, veg stock, lentils and tabasco).

Love leek & potato here too (and vichyssoise in summer).

Mostly I make recipes up as I go along though!

doozle Tue 17-May-11 22:40:24

Jamie's cauliflower cheese soup is lovely. Will dig out for you if it's not on his website.

TotemPole Wed 18-May-11 11:18:15

Lentil and tomato soup

The good thing about this is I usually have most of the ingredients in.

As it says on the page, it does go really well with coriander and garlic nan bread. When I blend it I leave it a bit chunky.

mischiefmummy Wed 18-May-11 11:23:20

Courgettes, leeks, 1 chopped onion and maybe some peas. Cooked up in chicken stock and then blitzed with half a packet of borsin (garlic and herb). Maybe a quick grind of black pepper. All done and in the bowl within 15mins grin

BooBooGlass Wed 18-May-11 11:25:36

I swear by Jamie Oliver for soups too. His tomato one from Ministry of Food is ridiculously simple. His minestrone was a hit with my dd from when she was teeny and both of mine still lap it up. Can't find the recipe for love nor money though. It's round here somewhere....

irishqueen Wed 18-May-11 11:33:44

I find the trick is to use marigold vegetable bouillon for stock. Lpw salt one best if you can get it as its really very salty but yummy. Apparently my soup is better than dp's mums so must be awesome
However can't seem to find a recipie for broccolu and cheddar that's easy and tasty (don't like stilton)

irishqueen Wed 18-May-11 11:33:45

I find the trick is to use marigold vegetable bouillon for stock. Lpw salt one best if you can get it as its really very salty but yummy. Apparently my soup is better than dp's mums so must be awesome
However can't seem to find a recipie for broccolu and cheddar that's easy and tasty (don't like stilton)

spilttheteaagain Fri 20-May-11 13:34:15

Thanks all. We'll try the lentil one this weekend. I found the cauli cheese one, looks interesting too.

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Fri 20-May-11 19:52:54

pea and pesto the cheapest, easiest soup Ive ever made - and my kids adored it!

spilttheteaagain Sun 22-May-11 21:10:35

The lentil and tomato was a success, thank you. Didn't have any yoghurt to top it with though but it didn't matter. We added some chopped chillis for a bit of a kick. I thought that actually it would make a very good curry sauce if you tweaked the spices a bit - the blended lentils and onion seemed to give the right consistency.

JHKE Wed 01-Jun-11 10:43:34

My Favourite is Leek and Cheddar and Mushroom Soup. Have tried the Mushroom and Broccoli soup that is in the recipes index on here and that was nice too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: