Talk

Advanced search

How many tins of chickpeas is 500g of dried equivalent to?

(6 Posts)
spilttheteaagain Mon 16-May-11 21:36:40

Just trying to work out the economics here and whether it's worth buying dried and cooking them!

If I cooked up 500g of dried chickpeas, how many tins worth roughly would that be?

stressedHEmum Mon 16-May-11 21:56:08

Dried beans cook up to about treble their volume. 1 can of beans = 1 1/2 cups roughly, 1 bag = 6 - 7 cups. So you get about 4 tins in a bag.

MooM00 Tue 17-May-11 10:20:30

You sort of double it, so 500g dried gives 1000g cooked which is about 4 x 240g drained weight.

May i ask if you like me have ordered dried chickpeas from sainsbos as the tinned now cost £1?

I'm going to do mine in the pressure cooker but I've no idea how long they'll take.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 17-May-11 10:28:14

I get about 1.2 - 1.3kgs of cooked chickpeas from a 500g bag after soaking and cooking. Have never tried cooking them in a pressure cooker but, if the chickpeas are reasonably fresh and have been soaked overnight for at least 12 hours, I find they cook in a regular saucepan in about 40 mins.

BTW.... once cooked, drained and allowed to cool totally, chickpeas freeze really well. Much more convenient to take a few handsful out of the freezer than to be opening cans.

Xiaoxiong Tue 17-May-11 10:40:21

And even apart from the cost, dried chickpeas (and other beans) which you soak and boil just taste so much better than the tinned ones. The tinned ones always taste simultaneously mushy on the outside and undercooked and grainy in the centre to me, even after they're cooked some more out of the tin. Soaked and boiled ones have a lovely velvety texture all the way through and a lovely nutty taste that I never seem to taste in the tinned ones which sometimes can have an odd smell (especially that buff-coloured sludge on the bottom, what is that anyway??). I never realised this until I started soaking my own (for cost reasons).

spilttheteaagain Tue 17-May-11 17:02:50

Thanks all.

MooM00 yes it was the £1 a tin shock in Sainsburys that's provoked this!

StressedHEMum on a different note, I made the pea soup recipe that you posted a while ago this weekend and it was yummy smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »