Talk

Advanced search

Veggie meal ideas...

(8 Posts)
Cashew Mon 09-May-11 10:22:48

Hi everyone,
So... I'm hosting for our book club soon, which involves a meal. There will be about 10 people and I've decided to cook Pastitsio (layered pasta, meat sauce, cheesy greek yogurt topping, yum) with a salad.
Have just remembered I need a complimentary veggie option, that can be prepared in advance, any suggestions?
Thanks!

Chil1234 Mon 09-May-11 11:33:17

How about stuffed peppers? Nicely colourful and serve well with a salad.

Halve some fat red peppers and remove the seeds but leave the stalk and the top of the core intact. Then microwave the peppers with a tablespoon of water for a minute or two, covered in clingfilm, so that they are partly-cooked (this stops the problem of dried up fillings and raw peppers). Then fill the pepper halves with a tasty mixture of cooked grain and chopped vegetables, moistened with oil or avocado, flavoured with herbs or chilli .... sprinkle cheese on top (check with the veggies that no-one is vegan)... and bake in a moderate oven until the peppers are softened, the filling is hot and the cheese is bubbling.

witchwithallthetrimmings Mon 09-May-11 11:40:32

i would prpbably do this instead of the pastitsio
delias veg lasagne and then perhaps have some deli meats on the side

Cashew Mon 09-May-11 13:44:56

Both those recipes sound lovely, thank you - I'll be trying both of those!
What I failed/forgot to add to my original post is that one of my guests is allergic to...pepppers! Oops!

I might make a soup as the other option, maybe cauliflower cheese soup.
Hmmmm......

Chil1234 Mon 09-May-11 14:34:10

Stuffed Mushrooms then? Omit peppers from earlier instructions and substitute Portobello or Field mush. smile

Shazzystar Wed 25-May-11 09:26:27

Some more ideas here: cookmarkit.com/cookmarks/vegetarian

Personally, I've cooked these recipes and have really enjoyed them!
cookmarkit.com/urls/couscous-chickpea-and-feta-salad-recipes-good-food-channel
cookmarkit.com/urls/orange-vinaigrette-and-warm-quinoa-salad-the-vancouver-observer

Try using cookmarkit.com to save your favourite veggie recipes you find on the web. If you tag them as "vegetarian" then anyone who goes to: cookmarkit.com/cookmarks/vegetarian will find these recipes too!

Great site to bookmark recipes and also see what your friends have been cooking. I've found it really useful.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Wed 25-May-11 17:15:13

I'd avoid soup - it will look like just a starter compared to the pastitsio.

How about Greek style butter beans to be served with salad, tsatziki and pitta bread? Google recipes for Greek giant beans.

Cashew Wed 01-Jun-11 18:59:06

Thanks all.
Book club now successfully hosted & lovely evening had by all.
I wish the Colonel's post had arrived in time though... in the end I went for soup.... & lots of people opted for it as well as the pastitsio. Oooops. Good job I had a fair bit of salad, garlic bread etc for my veggie guest, but still a bit embarrasing for me, So you were SO right Colonel!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: