Talk

Advanced search

toddler friendly cereal

(11 Posts)
tryingmybestmummy Mon 11-Apr-11 12:33:13

so everything has sugar and salt in it or is boring and only worth spitting out according to my dd - any suggestions for great organic healthy cereals?

neenz Mon 11-Apr-11 12:39:31

I give my twins porridge with banana mashed in - they love it.

everyspring Mon 11-Apr-11 12:41:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littleducks Mon 11-Apr-11 12:45:53

We are dull when they were little it was weetabix/porridge/shredded wheat.

Now they are bigger they have all they above plus cornflakes/cheapy rice krispies which are healthier than branded ones.

DD was amazed when she went to breakfast club and there were options like coco pops with chocolate milkshake followed by chocolate spread on white toast shock

lilbreeze Mon 11-Apr-11 12:46:41

raisin wheats - not organic but only 3 ingredients (Shredded Wholewheat, Raisins, Glycerine) plus vitamins

peeriebear Mon 11-Apr-11 12:46:52

My DDs grew up on Cheerios

arabicabean Tue 12-Apr-11 22:44:45

My toddler loves Lizi's Organic Granola - truly yummy.

LadyMacnet Tue 12-Apr-11 22:49:37

My 2 year old DS has concrete Weetabix everyday. He doesn't realise there are other cereals available.

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 13-Apr-11 08:17:20

Im afraid I stick to porridge, shredded wheat (including the raisin version) and weetabix for my DCs still (3 and 6).

As a treat tey get the apricot wheats (lots of 'natural' sugar but still no salt or the low sugar rusks (they can eat 4 of these tho!!

You can make porridge more exciting by blending with raspberries or banana etc.

A breakfast smoothie is always a great treat here too and surprisingly filling. Milk, yoghurt, banana then whatever needs using up fruit wise. Tinned fruit also good, espec mango wich is MUCh cheaper this way.

That all said, DS2 is currently eating carrot sticks and houmous for breakfast

sageygirl Fri 15-Apr-11 21:37:31

If you fancy cooking muffins are great for breakfast, or pancakes or scones, you can make them with fruit in if you want, banana scones are lovely. Do all have a bit of sugar in though.

You could do a home made muesli with loads of different types of fruit and little / no sugar?

My DS loves a big plate with a mound of natural yogurt in the middle, surrounded by circles of grapes and slices of apple or pear and drizzled over with honey or maple syrup.

My DD likes beans on toast or cheese on toast for breakfast (& lunch and dinner if she can wheedle it).

A breakfast omelette or scrambled eggs are healthy and tasty too. On Sundays I sometimes do a mock Spanish omelette with potato and onion in - I make sure I have a few ready boiled potatoes in the fridge by cooking too many on Saturday.

Cereal wise we stick to Weetabix, corn flakes, rice crispies and raisin wheats. Plus porridge, DS likes it with stewed apple or other stewed fruits on top, also you make it with part fruit juice and part milk - apple juice gives it a lovely flavour.

And mine like popcorn and fruit salad!

By the way, DS (8 yrs old) recently discovered that 4 weetabix a day has a bad effect on the digestion. More white bread recommended as a cure...

lukymum Sun 31-Jul-11 19:42:18

Would you agree then, that things like cocopops are not ideal for young children. My childminder made me feel a bit rubbish for suggesting that I dont want my child to eat those cereals.

Can I have some reassurance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now