Talk

Advanced search

Casserole dish instead of cake tin?

(10 Posts)
JFly Fri 18-Mar-11 17:06:35

I don't have the correct size tin for my DS's birthday cake, so was thinking I could do it in a ceramic/stoneware casserole dish. The dish measures 9"x13" and I was planning on doing a double recipe of the Nigella buttermilk birthday cake.

Thoughts? Same temp/baking time? Line with parchment and butter?

boosmummie Fri 18-Mar-11 18:59:03

I've done cakes in ceramic and they're fine. Same temp and time, yes. Grease and line and you shouldn't have any probs. Nice cake indeed, yum!

JFly Fri 18-Mar-11 20:04:24

Thanks! Here's hoping it works!

tortilla Mon 21-Mar-11 10:44:31

JFly (meg here with new name) - did it work? Having same issue with DS's birthday cake this weekend...

boosmummie Mon 21-Mar-11 10:48:02

It always works for me! Give it a bash before hand with a small one - they taste nice anyway so it wouldn't be a waste of cake......

boosmummie Mon 21-Mar-11 10:48:31

Also - I've used foil trays before as well which work perfectly.

tortilla Mon 21-Mar-11 11:04:03

"it wouldn't be a waste of cake......"

was just thinking exactly this boosmummie - next activity of the day sorted

boosmummie Mon 21-Mar-11 11:13:38

HAHAHAHAHA! Like minded!

lilolilmanchester Mon 21-Mar-11 11:30:34

it might take a little longer to cook in the middle so make sure you test it with a skewer and keep an eye on it - you might need to cover it with foil towards the end to stop the top becoming too brown before it's cooked in the middle. Also, if doing in casserole dish, you could microwave it (tho I can't advise on times)

JFly Mon 21-Mar-11 20:35:18

Thanks everyone. In the end I did a different design that worked with my existing 8" round tins. Much cuter results I think. Will link photo to my profile.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »