Talk

Advanced search

How to cook perfect Rice???

(27 Posts)
AFEICA Fri 11-Feb-11 15:53:27

For the love of God can someone please explain how to cook rice.

It is one of the things that I have never been able to get right. I have tried everything.

Resorted to buying a rice cooker but still rice ends up a horrible, sticky lump.

shinyshoes Fri 11-Feb-11 15:55:45

i do double the water to rice.

boil for 10 mins.

turn off , put lid on (keeping it on the hob), mine is a ceramic.

15 mins later perfect rice

scurryfunge Fri 11-Feb-11 15:56:24

Boil a pan of water, add rice, stir one and bring back to boil,cover and turn off heat and leave for 10 minutes. Drain and it should be ok.

florenceuk Fri 11-Feb-11 15:59:08

This is what I do:

measure rice (half a cup per peson), put in pot, wash with hot water and then cold until water runs clear.

Drain off water. Put in the same amount of water as you have rice and then add a wee bit more - a splash if you like.

Put lid on, bring to boil. Put on very low heat for 15 minutes - do not take lid off!

Take lid off, fluff up perfect rice!

Experiment a bit with the water - more water equals softer rice. My DH always makes slightly hard rice as he is stingy with the water. Too much water equals soft wet rice. The same proportions should work with a rice cooker as well.

AFEICA Fri 11-Feb-11 17:24:35

Thank you all so much!

Am I correct in thinking it is important to wash the rice until the water runs clear? If so, is this in cold or boiling water?

Also, should I be stirring during the cooking?

Prefer to stick it in the rice cooker and leave it rather than messing with the hob!

AFEICA Fri 11-Feb-11 17:25:02

Forgot! Should I add hot or cold water to the rice cooker?

scurryfunge Fri 11-Feb-11 17:29:18

I wash the rice in cold water.

Stir the once and then leave it alone!

Don't know anything about rice cooker though smile

exexpat Fri 11-Feb-11 17:41:19

I have a rice cooker. I usually wash the rice briefly in cold water (though some varieties of rice specifically say not to wash it), then add cold water to it in the rice cooker up to the level marked for the quantity. My rice cooker came with a measuring cup, and the cooking bowl has various levels marked on it for different types and quantities of rice, is yours like that? Then just switch it on and leave it. I wouldn't wash it in boiling water or add hot water. If you cook rice on the hob, stirring it certainly tends to make it a glutinous mess in my experience.

What kind of rice are you using? Rice cooked in a rice cooker is meant to end up sticking together a bit, as that is the norm in Japan and China (so that you can eat it with chopsticks). You certainly don't get the Uncle Ben's 'every grain fluffy and separate' style rice, so if that is what you are looking for, you might do better without a rice cooker.

Himalaya Fri 11-Feb-11 17:59:48

Don't cook rice like pasta! (... Why do people do this?)

Don't stir. You shouldn't need to drain it after.

Use basmati. Definately not American long grain or easy cook (bleugh)

one cup is enough for two adults. Rinse for a minute. Put in pan with 2 cups boiling water.

Lid on. Simmer.

With a rice cooker much the same but cold water.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 11-Feb-11 18:06:26

Why is it so complicated? I usually use the boil in the bag rice <slattern> but finding it's not enough now that DD eats it as well. So have only today bought an actual bag of rice to use tonight. I come to this thread for handy tips and it now seems you need to be a trained chef to cook it properly!

MrsJohnDeere Fri 11-Feb-11 18:06:45

Double the quantity of water to rice.
Only use basmati rice.
Bring to boil, then turn heat down as low as it will go.
Keep lid on.
Turn heat off after 10 mins.
Leave in pan with lid on on the hob for antihero 5 mins.
Voilà, perfectly cooked rice.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 11-Feb-11 18:09:30

RIGHT

Listen.

This is my failsafe rice recipe. I could never cook rice without it turning into a stodgy lump, however THIS is a easy microwave recipe which works every time.

You can cook it for 1 person or for 6 - it alwasy works and is always perfect.

75g rice and 175ml boiling water per person.

Measure out how much rice you need in a great big bowl. Put on top the correct amount of boiled water. Add a great big pinch of rock salt. Cover with cling film, cook on full power in microwave for 10 minutes. When done put in colander and RINSE with gallons on boiled water. Fluff up with fork. Voila perfect rice.

ChippyMinton Fri 11-Feb-11 18:11:41

if you have a microwave I would recommend one of these. Perfect rice without any fuss or steam.

Tryharder Fri 11-Feb-11 18:11:44

Florenceuk's way is how I make rice. And my rice is lovely - it's the only thing I can cook.

Adair Fri 11-Feb-11 18:14:00

dh taught me his perfect method:

cup of basmati rice & same amount of boiling water (doesn't matter how much/little)
saucepan and lid
oil

1. put tbsp oil in saucepan, fry rice in it first til it starts to smell (couple of mins). this apparently 'seals the starch' hmm
2. put boiling water in. stir once then put lid on and turn heat down as low as you can.
3. 11 mins later - perfect rice!!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 11-Feb-11 18:14:01

MrsJohnDeere has the correct method grin

BalloonSlayer Fri 11-Feb-11 18:16:05

I was taught this by a Vietnamese man I worked with. He recommended Thai Jasmine rice and that's what I always use.

Put as much rice in the pan as you want - obviously using an appropriate size pan for the amount of rice.

Put in enough cold water so that if you put your finger in to touch the surface of the rice, the water reaches to the first joint of your finger.

Boil the rice, uncovered, on high for about ten minutes. By then the rice should be nearly cooked and the water all but gone.

At that point remove the pan from the heat and put a lid on it. Leave for 10 minutes.

The rice will be completely dry and perfectly cooked.

Incidentally OP you should specify what you mean by perfect rice. Some people - like me - hate hate HATE wet rice, so the "rinse rice well" recipes are no good for me. And presumably my one is no good for them.

Annabel7 Fri 11-Feb-11 18:17:18

As above but find it only seems to work well for rice for 2 or 3 people. 1 small cup rice and 2 small cups of water per person. Microwave for about 5 mins per portion but just check as you go, might need a bit more or less. Fluff it up with a fork et viola...!

EricNorthmansMistress Fri 11-Feb-11 18:17:33

Do you have a normal steamer? I cook rice in the bowl thing that sits in the steamer and it's failsafe and no faffing. Equal quantities rice (not washed or anything) and boiling water in the rice bowl. Steam for 20 minutes. Voila

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 11-Feb-11 18:29:38

I'm liking GOML's 'recipe'. Less faff is good.

couldtryharder Fri 11-Feb-11 20:18:52

The best way is the Persian way. Basmati rice. Rinse with warm water thil it rund clear(ish). Boil in plenty of salted (don't be shy with the salt, you are disguarding the water so not eating the salt) water for about 5 mins til aldente. Drain. Put a clean pan on a medium heat, line bottom with slices of raw potato (about half a cm thick) covering the whole area. Pile the rice in a cone shape, ie not touching the sides. Lid on and leave til there is a good ammount of steam in the pan. When the steam is up, quickly slip a teatowel round the lid and replace, lower heat and leave for 30 mins to 45 mins. Perfect fluffy, tastey rice, with a layer of beautifuly cooked crispy potatoes at the bottom that everyone fights over. You can layer the rice with herbs, spices, veg etc to create other dishes.

pointydog Fri 11-Feb-11 20:25:12

I have always cooked rice like pasta because it is simple and it works perfectly every time.

exexpat Fri 11-Feb-11 20:47:13

Mmmm - think I might be trying that as a change from the ricecooker, couldtryharder.

(where is the 'drooling' emoticon when you need it?)

BronwenC Sun 13-Feb-11 22:43:51

the way i was taught to cook rice perfectly is:

put rice in the pan, add twice as much water as rice (i use cup measurements)

Bring to the boil on the hob

take off hob, put lid on pan

wrap pan with lid on in two tea towels

leave on the worktop for half an hour to an hour (doesnt need an hour but you can leave it there two if you want, makes no difference)

then just take the lid off. perfect fluffy lovely rice every time. no effort at all.

missnevermind Sun 13-Feb-11 23:06:29

Microwave it. Perfect every time.
2 mugs of rice
3 mugs of boiling water
Whatever measurement of rice half as much again of boiling water.
Big bowl with vented lid or clingfilm with 2 small holes in it.
Full power for 10 mins then defrost setting for 10 more.
Remove lid to let steam out.
Ready to eat. Not wet or sticky. Grains separate perfectly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now