Talk

Advanced search

Potentially VERY stupid question re:chicken

(16 Posts)
winnybella Sat 15-Jan-11 18:22:47

You know how some chickens come with a small metal clamp on a wing?

Well, I leave it when I roast a bird. I'm making a chicken soup now and forgot to take the clamp thingy off.

So, my question is: is it ok? Will the clamp have leaked the erm...heavy metal nasty chemicals whatever they're called into the soup?

Didn't taste it yet.

winnybella Sat 15-Jan-11 18:27:03

Oh come on...tell me: have I ruined the soup? Can't find anything on the internet.

winnybella Sat 15-Jan-11 18:30:42

bump

Bunbaker Sat 15-Jan-11 18:32:11

I have never, ever bought a chicken with a metal clamp on. Where are you buying your chicken?

winnybella Sat 15-Jan-11 18:33:23

Ah. France, you see. It's a little metal thingy attached to the wing with the producer's name.

TheSkiingGardener Sat 15-Jan-11 18:33:24

I also don't know what you mean....

Is it a soft metal or hard, picture maybe?

sethstarkaddersmackerel Sat 15-Jan-11 18:33:26

neither have I!

arentfanny Sat 15-Jan-11 18:33:42

I have never bought a chicken with a metal clamp in either.

sethstarkaddersmackerel Sat 15-Jan-11 18:34:40

I don't see how it would have ruined it. I mean we cook in metal containers and stir things with metal spoons.

winnybella Sat 15-Jan-11 18:37:21

Can't find a photo. No clue if soft or hard metal.

True, Seth, I guess I was thinking how aluminium, lead etc is not good for you.

But I'm being silly, aren't I? blush

winnybella Sat 15-Jan-11 18:41:40

DP just came back and looked at me hmm when I asked him. He said it's probably tin and it'll be all right. It's soft i.e. I can bend it iyswim.

I think I need to get out more instead of worrying about things like that blush

sethstarkaddersmackerel Sat 15-Jan-11 18:41:42

I wouldn't worry cos it's just a one-off. I mean, suppose there is aluminium in it, people get effects from cooking their food in aluminium saucepans for decades, not from doing it once. And the clamp is presumably pretty small so this is a small surface area to leak out of. And how is it different to cooking with aluminium foil?

sethstarkaddersmackerel Sat 15-Jan-11 18:43:10

I think when we become parents the 'worrying about daft safety things' bit of our brain swells to epic proportions grin

winnybella Sat 15-Jan-11 18:44:27

grin True.

frenchfancy Sat 15-Jan-11 18:46:21

It'll be fine. I don't always take the metal clamp off before I cook and I've never noticed the difference.

gastrognome Sat 15-Jan-11 19:52:20

Have left the metal tag on the wing a good few times before, and am still here to tell the tale!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now