Talk

Advanced search

Kransekake - need an 'easy' recipe please

(28 Posts)
ilythia Sat 15-Jan-11 18:21:06

One of my siblings recently married a Norwegian and we had kransekake at their wedding (here for those unlucky enough never to have ahd it.

I got a tube of ready made dough for christmas and have just cooked it, and I had forgotten how goooooooooooooooooorgeous it is!

When I google for recipes they all go on about needing almond paste and how to make it with a grinderhmm not going to happen, sorry, so what shortcuts/cheats can I use?
Anyone have a nice easy british recipe? (as in with ingredients I can find in tesco...[grin})

SoupDragon Sat 15-Jan-11 18:31:01

Would white marzipan work? It just almonds sugar and glucose syrup.

SoupDragon Sat 15-Jan-11 18:31:23

Perhaps too firm though.

QuintessentialShadows Sat 15-Jan-11 18:31:53

just a moment, let me translate recipes.

SoupDragon Sat 15-Jan-11 18:33:40

Surely making almond paste isn't that tricky if you buy ready blanched almonds though.

QuintessentialShadows Sat 15-Jan-11 18:34:07

oh sorry, you want a BRITISH recipe, then I cant help.

Bunbaker Sat 15-Jan-11 18:35:51

Surely almond paste is just marzipan? But having looked at the recipe it looks like all you need is eggs, ground almonds and sugar.

thisisyesterday Sat 15-Jan-11 18:36:24

well... can you not just use the recipe on that link you posted?

it's just ground almonds, icing sugar and egg whites...

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 15-Jan-11 18:37:52

My mam just uses ground almonds I think. Lovecthe stuff! I will ask her.
I think scandi kitchen might sell the ready made stuff .

SoupDragon Sat 15-Jan-11 18:38:05

Oh, FFS of course! Ready ground almonds! Piece of cake, surely?

ilythia Sat 15-Jan-11 18:38:40

sorry, I knew that would come off wrong, I don't mean british as in british, I mean one that isn't american (I can't translate the norweigan ones) as all the ones I have found say
'almond paste - which you can buy in any bakery'

I don't have a grinder and BIL says I can't use marzipan as it wouldn't work.

QuintessentialShadows Sat 15-Jan-11 18:38:51

that recipe is wrong though, "powdered" sugar is icing sugar, needs to be sieved in. The almonds should also be blanched and ground, to get the even white colour.

Or, I could post you an "assemble your own Kransekake kit". wink

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 15-Jan-11 18:40:23

is this it?

QuintessentialShadows Sat 15-Jan-11 18:42:20

No, that is a log of marzipan.

ilythia Sat 15-Jan-11 18:42:21

Oh ffs. I am such a dick.

I googled for an image to show what I meant (as my spelling of it is not great, better than my pronunciation but...) and I hadn't scrolled down the page

<<slinks off muttering 'you twat'>>

QuintessentialShadows Sat 15-Jan-11 18:43:27

I think almond meal is closer to what you need than ground blanched almonds, or a combination of the two.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 15-Jan-11 18:45:23

Is it? Says almond paste for baking?

Bunbaker Sat 15-Jan-11 18:46:42

Will this do?
cinemagypsy.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/save-the-kran sekake-with-recipe/

or this - you need to scroll quite a long way down
multemusic.com/wedding/preparation.shtml

or this:
www.tastebook.com/recipes/2047117-Norwegian-Weddin g-Cake-Kranse-Kake-Ring-Cake-

SusanCalvin Sat 15-Jan-11 18:48:36

I have made Kransekae using this recipe with icing sugar and ground almonds which I bought ready ground. It seemed to work really well but I have never eaten one made by anyone else, so I don't know whether it tasted like it ought to or not.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 15-Jan-11 18:49:38

My mam says she uses ground almonds. And not to forget the flags!

QuintessentialShadows Sat 15-Jan-11 18:51:35

Ken, Marzipan cake is the most popular festive cake in Scandinavia, it says almond paste for baking, as you are supposed to roll it out with a rolling pin, and "ice" your cakes with it! We use it like you use icing! Or, you mash it up in cream, to use as a filling in buns, such as semlor , as suggested on that page.

QuintessentialShadows Sat 15-Jan-11 18:53:28

Ilythia, anyway, I am Norwegian, I am in Norway, if you need any help with either translating recipes, or want me to post you a cake kit, pm me. They are lovely cakes, I made one for Christmas. smile

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 15-Jan-11 18:54:16

I know. My Mam's Norwegian. Thanks for the lesson though. Not sure why you are being so snippy when I was trying to help the OP.

QuintessentialShadows Sat 15-Jan-11 19:01:48

hmm I dont know what you are on about, Ken.
What do you mean "thanks for the lesson"?

I think you are being snippy here!
Almond paste is really the last topic where I thought I should encounter grief on mumsnet.

I was also just trying to help.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 15-Jan-11 19:06:34

Yeah me too. But at least I know about rolling out marzipan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: