Talk

Advanced search

Sugarflair colours question - fairly urgent please

(5 Posts)
pantaloons Sat 15-Jan-11 14:43:59

Hi,

I'm making DH a lego brick birthday cake and my mum some fancy fairy cakes for her birthday. I sent DH to the cake shop to get some colours and he came back with crimson and Christmas red. he said the lady told him one came out pink, but couldn't remember which.

Anyone know?

cheers

pantaloons Sat 15-Jan-11 14:45:01

Sorry, should have said I wanted bright red for some fondant for his and a nice pink for some buttercream piped onto Mums.

CMOTdibbler Sat 15-Jan-11 14:46:35

Either one will if you only put a tiny amount in, and I'd use the crimson as it's less intense. You literally only need a teeny amount of those paste colours - I dip a toothpik in, then dip it in the icing

Imnotaslimjim Sat 15-Jan-11 14:50:47

Christmas red has a more pink tinge to it than crimson, but as CMOT says, you only need a tiny amount. Once its thoroughly blended, leave it to rest for a few hours as the colour does deepen over time. As a warning, you need a lot of red to get rid of the pink undertone, so if only blend as much as you need

pantaloons Sat 15-Jan-11 20:13:49

It's done, thanks for the advice. The cupcakes look lovely and the lego brick is ok. I now have arm muscles like popeye, but it went red eventually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now