Talk

Advanced search

Potato salad is always disappointing

(14 Posts)
Fenugreek Thu 13-Jan-11 13:01:47

On paper it works. It should be awesome.

But it isn't.

Do you have an awesome potato salad recipe?

Please do share.

headfairy Thu 13-Jan-11 13:06:39

In what way does it disappoint? I always use full fat mayo or home made if I can be bothered. A dollop of wholegrain mustard added can be nice, as can chopped chives or spring onions finely chopped. Finely chopped fried pancetta is nice. There are so many things you can add...

Iklboo Thu 13-Jan-11 13:07:04

Not really, but I make myself a salad sometimes that contains potatoes...

I roast baby new potatoes in a little olive oil, seasoned & sprinkled with dried rosemamry.
When cooked & cooled I slice/chop them, add mayo, spring onions, chopped cucumber & celery (sometimes chopped peppers). Then I add about half a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard. Very yummy (IMHO).

dessen Thu 13-Jan-11 13:11:02

Try putting some chopped up hard boiled eggs into the potato mayo dijon mustard mix- super

hogsback Thu 13-Jan-11 13:13:38

Dump a load of home made vinaigrette, made with wholegrain mustard over the potatoes while they are still hot. Leave to cool.

Add good mayonnaise (homemade is best), chopped chives (lots), and chopped hardboiled eggs once they've cooled down a bit.

Serve still slightly warm.

TwoIfBySea Thu 13-Jan-11 13:50:19

Wee Jersey baby potatoes are always best, skin on.

I tend to make more than is needed when having them for dinner and leftovers are then potato salad.

Like hogsback I then use mayo and chopped chives and a little black pepper.

Keep it simple.

hogsback Thu 13-Jan-11 14:04:09

Ooh if we're going to get into varieties then pink fir apples, dug up early and unpeeled are fab. Not sure you can get them in the shops but they are very easy to grow, can be eaten as both earlies and mains and taste amazing.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 13-Jan-11 14:13:30

I do a version with olive oil and lemon juice dressing, some capers and olives, toss in warm potatoes, eat....

We like it and it's less cloggy than mayo ones.

Also Nigel Slater does one with anchovies chopped up in olive oil with parsley and potatoes bunged in. That's nice too but I know anchovies are not to everyone's taste.

HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 13-Jan-11 14:53:20

Red potatoes with skin on cooked and crushed, homemade mayo, tiny bit of mustard, seasoning and chives, yummy!

minipie Thu 13-Jan-11 15:09:56

I use half mayo and half plain yoghurt (creme fraiche also works) - much less cloying than just mayo.

Some chopped shallot and lots of herbs (chives and maybe some parsley).

Goes best with something chargrilled or spicy so you're grateful for the coolness IYSWIM.

aquavit Thu 13-Jan-11 15:15:13

yes, the potatoes need to be good flavoursome sweet waxy ones, not floury tasteless lumps

I like chives, parsley and lots of crushed garlic in my potato salad, and for the dressing base I use either olive oil and lemon juice (pref on warm potatoes), or mayo and creme fraiche (leave potatoes to cool for this one).

Chopped sweet gherkins are a delicious addition too.

MyrrhyBS Thu 13-Jan-11 15:19:33

I like potato salad with jersey potatoes, chopped red onions and mayonnaise. I also like to add Aromat, which IMHO, makes it taste a cut above the rest! You can buy it in supermarkets.

mousymouse Thu 13-Jan-11 15:23:49

I make it the german way.

- boil waxy potatoes, peel and cut into slices when still warm
- finely dice on onion and cook in the brine of pickled gherkins (microwave 1 min) then pour over the potatoes.
- add finely diced gherkins
- add a finley dices apple (cox works well)
- add mayonaise, just enough to cover the potatoes, don't drown them (I prefer the free from mayo)
- salt pepper to taste

whirlygig Thu 13-Jan-11 15:40:14

this recipe is delicious

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: