Talk

Advanced search

Inspiration Needed

(5 Posts)
glasshouse Wed 12-Jan-11 14:26:36

My sister and I are off to Ireland for a weekend at the end of the month staying in a holiday cottage. We'll be meeting up with a friend when we're there. I offered to cook on the Saturday night and thought I'd do a roast of lamb or beef. Then I thought that was rather boring and wonder if you have any suggestions for something easyish but a bit more exciting. No allergies for any of us but one prefers plainer food. Not sure how well equipped the kitchen is and how well stocked the supermarkets.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 12-Jan-11 16:34:06

There is nothing boring about nicely roasted lamb, done with Garlic and Rosemary, roast potatoes (or dauphinoise), and roasted parsnips or celeriac. In fact my mouth is watering now all over the keyboard!

Alternatively you could try a Ham Sandwich!

Frenchfoodie Wed 12-Jan-11 16:36:44

Hello
Just in case the kitchen isn't well equipped a good recipe would be Steak au Poivre (peppered steak). This is easy, quick and just delicious.

Here is the recipe for you: Just buy 3 steaks instead of the 4 if there will be three of you for your meal.

For 4 people

Ingredients

• 4 rump steaks about 3/4ins to 1ins thick

• 1 oz peppercorns (white preferably)

• 2oz butter

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

• 2tablespoons chopped shallots or spring onions

• Salt

• 1/4 pint (5/8 cup) beef stock

• 2 - 3 tablespoons brandy

• Watercress to garnish

Method

• Prepare steaks by beating them

• Wipe dry with kitchen paper

• Crush peppercorns in a pestle and mortar

• Press into steaks on both sides

• Leave for about half and hour (longer if possible)

• Heat 1oz butter and the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan

• Fry steaks on each side for 2 minutes

• Sprinkle with salt and place on a warm serving dish

• Add the spring onions or shallots and cook for a few minutes

• Add stock and the brandy to the pan and mix well with the meat juices, stirring continuously

• Bring to the boil, heat for 2 minutes

• Remove from the heat and add the rest of the butter

• Pour sauce over the steaks

• Garnish with watercress and serve accompanied by sauteed (fried) potatoes or your favourite vegetables.

Enjoy smile

For more great recipes see
www.french-recipes-to-love.com

glasshouse Thu 13-Jan-11 15:18:10

Thanks very much for your help. They both sound lovely. Anyone else with any ideas?

couldtryharder Thu 13-Jan-11 16:28:23

Slow roast a shoulder of lamb then you can go out and do something else whilst it's cooking. I do mine by rubbing it all over with crushed cumin, corriander seed and garlic, just a bit of light olive oil to make a paste, salt & pepper. Glug of wine/water/stock. Cover with foil and cook for 3-4 hours at 150 - 160 degrees.

Rich and delicious. To counter that I serve it with pitta bread and a big greek salad (cucumber, tomatoes, a little red onion, black olives, fetta, dry oregano, good olive oil and a splash of white wine vinegar).

Or super simple sausage & fennel ragu and pasta. Fry off blogs of good sausage meat with garlic and fennel seeds. Good glug of red wine, tin of toms, salt & pepper. Reduce down til a good saucy consistency. Serve with any pasta, a green salad and plenty of red wine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now