Talk

Advanced search

Minimum mess cooking

(11 Posts)
stainesmassif Wed 12-Jan-11 13:52:46

Dh has developed an interest in cooking inspired by the Jamie Oliver iPhone app. Unfortunately jamie's recipes generate four day's worth of washing up.

Any suggestions for tasty dinners that don't use every kitchen utensil? (dh will not eat anything like a casserole to make the challenge more interesting)

stainesmassif Wed 12-Jan-11 17:18:49

anyone?

midnightexpress Wed 12-Jan-11 17:21:00

Tell him he has to do the washing up as well and see how many utensils he uses.

IME, men never wash up as they go along.

<sweeping generalisation>

stainesmassif Wed 12-Jan-11 19:21:44

well that's the problem right there. he will do the washing up, just not until all of the utensils have been used including egg cups and fish slices. possibly next week.

couldtryharder Thu 13-Jan-11 12:06:00

Every man I know that cooks (father, husband, brother) uses everything in the kitchen when they do. Has to be the biggest knife, biggest pan, biggest chopping board etc.

Need to look out for one pot recipes I'd say. Chilli, casseroles and stews, pot roasts, even pies (lid only type) if you get ready made pastry and use and oven proof pan to cook the filling in. Men tend to like to eat this kind of food too which always helps.

Good on him for taking up the challenge though! Not many do. And good on you for supporting him!

couldtryharder Thu 13-Jan-11 12:07:36

Sorry - just read the end of your post re casseroles. Do you think he might be like kids - like the food if he made it himself?? Hope that doesn't sound patronising although I'm pretty sure it does.

stainesmassif Thu 13-Jan-11 16:41:19

haha! it does and should sound patronising! he has ridiculous 'rules' about 'wet' food. curry is okay - what's that if not a casserole with a hot sauce? but stews, casseroles etc are considered to be dirty food. i blame his mum - she takes his dad's chicken off the bone for him before serving it!!

couldtryharder Thu 13-Jan-11 17:03:45

OMG! That's nuts. He definately has food issues. What's dirty about a casserole?? I feel for you! But still, he's trying, so should encourage him. Lancashire hot pot is great, slow cooked and manly but not as 'wet' as a casserole, so maybe not considered dirty? I have a top recipe if you'd like it.

stainesmassif Thu 13-Jan-11 17:17:34

Oh no, definitely falls into the casserole category. Also it contains lamb, which may remind him of the fact that he's eating an animal. He's a hopeless case!

Successful Jamie dishes are anything with chicken breast, any pasta. Fish is generally unacceptable. God, now I think about it, he's worse than our 2 year old.

couldtryharder Thu 13-Jan-11 17:39:42

Lol! If he likes pasta, get him making his own. Plenty of mess to make there!

stainesmassif Thu 13-Jan-11 19:29:00

oh yes, he'd enjoy that! i can just picture it. if he's ever allowed to make pasta it'll be the day before the cleaner comes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: