Talk

Advanced search

frozen savoury food - any ideas

(10 Posts)
camdancer Mon 10-Jan-11 17:58:05

DS has some sensory issues especially with food. This means he has a pretty limited diet. But over Christmas he has been enjoying frozen things quite a bit e.g. frozen peas, ice creams, ice lollies. So does anyone have any ideas for savoury food that can be (safely) eaten frozen or at least very cold? Don't worry if you think it tastes dreadful, I just can't think of things that would even be safe let alone taste good!

TIA

piprabbit Mon 10-Jan-11 18:02:20

Chilled soups, like Gazpacho, with ice cubes in?

Carrot sticks.

Make your own lollies out of vegetable juices.

Tomato sorbet - there are recipes here for tomato ice cream and even white stilton ice cream.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 10-Jan-11 18:08:02

Not savoury, but frozen grapes are nice and healthy.

Frozen yogurt is nice, maybe you could try flavouring that with something savoury (finely grated parmesan?)

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 10-Jan-11 18:09:27

Most fruit and veg that can be eaten raw would be ok I should think - carrots, those packs of fruit that you use for smoothies etc.

I think Heston Blumenthal did bacon and egg ice cream - maybe there is a recipe somewhere?

Or what about crushed ice, slush puppy style, with a savoury sauce? Ketchup, puree, chicken soup etc.

charlieandlola Mon 10-Jan-11 18:12:51

Cooked sausage roll?<runs>

ohyaychristmas Mon 10-Jan-11 18:13:43

Savoury muffins. I make these weekly and freeze. Of course I refresh them in the oven but they are perfectly safe to eat very cold.

Examples: courgette, cheese and corn, parmesan and basil, etc, etc.

BikeRunSki Mon 10-Jan-11 18:19:28

Cubes of frozen cheese?
Other frozen veg - sweetcorn, carrots as well as peas.

charlieandlola Mon 10-Jan-11 18:36:28

Cold pasta salad would be safe to eat cold
Cooked chicken would be ok too

camdancer Mon 10-Jan-11 19:01:18

Thanks for those suggestions. I tried frozen sweetcorn today. Not a hit - but I'll try again another day. I will definitely try the other things. The muffins might be good as he likes making them.

taffetacat Mon 10-Jan-11 21:04:20

I wouldn't see a problem with something precooked thats then frozen, when you are only heating up to warm through, rather than cooking from raw. For example, I made some mini puff pastry tarts with veg toppings that I cooked and then froze. These would be fine. I would guess quiche is the same.

Frozen bread? I guess you'd need to freeze a sliced loaf otherwise you'd be sawing away for hours....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: