Talk

Advanced search

I'm going to be brave and attempt baking again - need quick replies please as I'm about to go shopping

(6 Posts)
BaroqueAroundTheClock Mon 10-Jan-11 12:57:27

I need some very simple, very basic recipes (or just ingredients to buy) - I can get the actual recipes later grin) for things such as cakes, biscuits, flapjack.

It's been a long time since I last attempted to bake (and it was a birthday cake for DS1 that turned out disastrous so have been too scared to try again blush).

Right now I have no baking stuff in the house (apart from almost brand new baking trays grin). So - what basics should I add to my shopping list to make some really simple stuff (please)

aseriouslyblondemoment Mon 10-Jan-11 13:03:45

SR/plain flour
baking powder
butter or marg
caster sugar
icing sugar
vanilla extract
porridge oats
dried fruits?
golden syrup
cocoa

BaroqueAroundTheClock Mon 10-Jan-11 13:09:39

thanks aseriouslyblondemoment. smile

my mother (if I ever spoke to her) would be ashamed - we had nothing but home baked goodies, cakes, bisuicts, flapjacks, scones, pies - the lot. I can throw a crumble together - but that's as far as my abilities go.....

for now that will change this year.

taffetacat Tue 11-Jan-11 13:42:03

waves to blonde smile

op - did you catch that Baking Made Easy show on BBC2 last night? Its the first of a series I think. Great for those starting out with baking. Catch it on iplayer or next week if you've time, I think it was on about 8.30pm

taffetacat Tue 11-Jan-11 13:48:06

....the only extras I'd add to blonde's list are:

- eggs
- dark chocolate/choc chips
- nuts ( God I love nuts! Sainsbo's have a good selection in their baking section - pistachios, almonds - ground, flaked, blanched etc, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, macadamias etc ). I am ashamed to admit I have an entire shelf of nuts for baking.

Also get some equipment if you don't already have:

- 2 x 20cm sandwich tins for cakes
- electric whisk
- palette knife or just flat butter knife
- greaseproof paper

DramaInPyjamas Tue 11-Jan-11 13:51:56

Do you have/need kitchen weighing scales?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now