Talk

Advanced search

Yorkshire Puddings

(15 Posts)
midori1999 Sat 08-Jan-11 17:19:51

This has been annoying me for ages, so I have to ask. I can make yorkshire puddings. They rise loads and are all big and puffy. However, they don't look like they are 'meant' to if that makes sense? Not all risen at the outside and hollow in the centre, but instead risen all over.

What I am doing wrong?

zisforzebra Sat 08-Jan-11 17:46:58

They sound great! Mine are usually either flat and hard or flat and soaked in oil. blush

SeriousWispaHabit Sat 08-Jan-11 19:43:15

Aunt Bessie has a lot to answer for.

Yours sound like mine and obviously mine are perfect grin

notapizzaeater Sat 08-Jan-11 19:48:43

I could never make YP's till I had to make gluten free ones - 4 eggs, 90g cornflour and milk as normal. These rise wonderfully - they are nice and crisp and I have never had a bad one -even my mum makes these now instead of the "normal" ones

MissAnneElk Sat 08-Jan-11 19:53:44

Notapizzaeater. I'd never made Yorkshire puddings until I had to make gluten free ones. I use 50g of cornflour, 50g of gluten free plain flour, 3 eggs, 140 mls of milk and a pinch of salt. They are very yummy and look the part too <smug>

TheSkiingGardener Sun 09-Jan-11 03:15:07

What's your recipe? Are you using plain flour?

DooinMeCleanin Sun 09-Jan-11 03:22:20

Mine used to go like this. I asked my Nan who told me the key is very very hot lard i.e. smoking when you take it of the oven. If it is not smoking it is not hot enough. And it must be lard, not oil. Oil makes them greasy. My nan makes ace puddings and so do I wink

ChippingIn Sun 09-Jan-11 04:34:56

Dooin - not arguing with your Nan (who would dare grin) but they are just as good with oil as long as it's HOT. It's the heat that creates the 'pot' shape - although (and I'm willing to be corrected) I believe they are supposed to be like yours are

(Bloody useless for cramming with mash, peas & gravy though grin)

ChippingIn Sun 09-Jan-11 04:36:16

Sorry - for some reason the paragraphs didn't slit up - try again...

Dooin - not arguing with your Nan (who would dare ) but they are just as good with oil as long as it's HOT.

Midori - It's the heat that creates the 'pot' shape - although (and I'm willing to be corrected) I believe they are supposed to be like yours are!

(Bloody useless for cramming with mash, peas & gravy though )

TeaOneSugar Sun 09-Jan-11 20:19:36

I find it works best with really hot oil and really cold batter (made well in advance and kept in the fridge.

Mine went down well with the pil today, mil uses Aunt Bessies when we got to their house - fil ate 3 of my homemade ones today (it was noted by MIL).

frikadela Wed 12-Jan-11 02:33:22

I have never made a yorkshire pud that is a pot shape, they are always risen and puffy like OP and my lard is always smoking hot.

I suspect Aunt Bessie is engaging in witchcraft to make her pud. Especially the batters that come in a little tin, How does she do it?

pallymama Wed 12-Jan-11 04:59:29

I am far from an expert when it comes to YPs, but I have had them puff right up before. This only seems to happen when I haven't made the batter early enough, and left it in the fridge for at least half an hour.
Chilled, rested batter, and smoking hot oil usually produces pots for gravy!
Now if I could just get them to come out as nice as my mums ones... envy

MommyMayhem Wed 12-Jan-11 05:19:24

This reminds me of one of the "are my labia normal?" threads grin !

Seriously though, I use Gordon Ramsey's Yorkshire Pudding recipe and they turn out fab. I would be happy to reproduce it here, if anyone's interested.

Smash09 Wed 12-Jan-11 12:05:47

I'm not sure of the exact science but I think a denser batter makes it more likely to have a sunken middle... to be honest though, who cares! Just poke the middle down with a spoon and create a gravy-pea-mash bowl if you wish

midori1999 Wed 12-Jan-11 15:58:34

Thanks everyone.

I don't really have a recipe, I just use plain flour, eggs, milk and a pinch of salt. I have tried recipes though and they still come out the same. I have also tried making the batter thinner or thicker but that doesn't help.

I always have the tin piping hot and have tried lard and veg oil, both seem to give the same result.

I always rest the batter on the side though, so will try chilling it.

The puds are lovely, but yes, it would be nice to be able to fill them with gravy etc. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now