Talk

Advanced search

Steam train birthday cake

(6 Posts)
BlueEyeshadow Fri 07-Jan-11 18:25:07

This is the first year I'm going to have a go at a shaped cake! DS1 has requested a steam train. I was thinking of making two cakes in loaf tins but now I'm wondering if I'd be better off making a big square cake to cut up and stick together. Would sponge cake in loaf tins rise? Can anyone give me an idea of how I'd need to adapt the cooking times or quantities? Thanks!

PonceyMcPonce Fri 07-Jan-11 18:26:39

Maybe a cop out, but lake land have a tin with loads of shaped carriages and an aengine

Grockle Fri 07-Jan-11 18:42:43

Look at this site

It's for a Thomas the Tank Engine cake but you could easily adapt it for a different steam train.

BornToFolk Fri 07-Jan-11 18:45:36

I did a train for DS's second birthday, loosely following this "recipe". It's basially just assembling things really but it came out well.

BlueEyeshadow Fri 07-Jan-11 23:18:47

That one looks good BornToFolk. I've found an ancient recipe on here for a chocolate cake that can be made in a loaf tin but it doesn't say what temperature to cook it on or for how long.

Catsmamma Fri 07-Jan-11 23:21:16

if you are quick they have the train carriage tin in matalan....from the jane asher range and it was down to half price, £ 7.50, i think

i almost bought it but as the baby is 13 now I had a change of heart..it'll not get any use!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now