Talk

Advanced search

Please help- what easy, nutritious family dishes can I book when I have terrible pregnancy sickness...

(7 Posts)
Helzapoppin Fri 07-Jan-11 16:17:47

Any ideas very welcome!

I am nine weeks pregnant (with DD aged 2) and feel totally exhausted and sick most of the day, apart from an hour or so window at about 3pm. I am at home three days in the week (my mum looks after DD and can cook for us these 2 days) and have to produce a meal for DD, myself (feel so much better once I've eaten) and DH (who eats when he gets home at 8).

Normally I love cooking, but the thought of chopping onions etc. makes me feel dreadful! Too much handling raw meat is particularly nausea-inducing.

Any thoughts for quick, nutritious dishes I can produce for us all in about 30 minutes, that do not involve too much 'cooking' so that I don't have to resort to ready meals?

taffetacat Fri 07-Jan-11 16:37:33

If you have an hour window when you feel OK, I would do all the prep and assembly in the window and then keep on the side or refrigerate ready for cooking later. I do this regularly with all the standards:

- Lasagne
- Mac cheese
- Shepherds/Cottage pie
- Fish pie
- Chicken broccoli bake
- Any kind of traybake with meat and veg

Scootergrrrl Fri 07-Jan-11 16:39:43

Ocado does ready chopped onions and other veg which are much nicer than chopping onions yourself!

taffetacat Fri 07-Jan-11 16:43:03

or what about those lazy or easy or whatever they are called onions? they are already slow cooked as well I think, and they do garlic, chilli and ginger as well.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 07-Jan-11 16:46:06

I feel your pain, that was me a few months ago.

I was going to say do batch cooking to the max and freeze loads of portions.

Lasagne
Chilli
Spag Bol
Meatballs in sauce
Make a huge batch of cheese sauce and freeze in portions. It can then be thawed and used to pur over cauliflower, pasta, chicken breasts, sausages etc.

If chopping onions is a real no no, how about buying a bag of frozen ready chopped onions? It might seem a bit frivilous, but if needs must then do it.

Jacket potatoes with the right fillings can be a well balanced and nutritious meal. They also don't smell when cooking!!

If you do sausages, cook them in the oven to reduce the smell.

Use frozen veg if you can't face the chopping and preparing.

I hope the sickness passes soon.

skydance Fri 07-Jan-11 16:53:51

I would agree with all these, we had jacket pots quite a lot, and I'm afraid we did eat a lot of things like fish fingers and other frozen type things blush

I used to buy fresh pasta, and ready made fresh sauces from the chiller cabinet as well.

Beans/scrambled egg on toast type meals.

If ready meals or something from the freezer is all you can maange some nights, don't worry about it, it's not for long, do what you have to get through.

skydance Fri 07-Jan-11 16:54:44

And definately buy some frozen ready chopped onions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: