Talk

Advanced search

DD1's birthday cake

(20 Posts)
ilythia Thu 06-Jan-11 22:21:29

She has requested a hello kitty cake, easy enough, that's justa big flat head thing, but she wants it pink with chocolate spread (she hates jam and butter icing)
If I do a madeira with red colouring for the sponge how gross will it be to ice it with ganache and then put fondant on?

blametheparents Fri 07-Jan-11 11:46:17

Why not make a chocolate sponge cake, split it in half and fill with chocolate ganache, then ice as Hello Kitty with fondant/ready roll icing.
That's what I am doing for DD for her 6th birthday soon grin

ilythia Fri 07-Jan-11 16:44:34

because teh cake has to be pink <sigh> She will be 5. Bloody girls!

That's what I am goign to do but it will be a pink coloured plain madeira, ganache will taste ok as a filling, won't it? I am old school jam myself.

couldtryharder Sat 08-Jan-11 10:14:14

I'm sure the red food colouring will be fine. I'd just use some slightly warmed nutella rather than going to the effort of making a ganache. Did a Hello Kitty for my dd's 5th. Turned out well and although my's a fussy little madam too, it came out fab. Good luck with it. I hope it meets expectations.

ilythia Sat 08-Jan-11 13:22:34

thanks, nutella is genius. Bit concerned there might not be any leftover though, shall bulk out stores in casegrin

deemented Sat 08-Jan-11 13:29:21

Ohhh... when's her b'day? (Not as stalkerish as it sounds, i do actually know ilythia!)

I reckon it'll be fine - but why maderia? Why not a plain cake recipe?

I'm making MrT a cake this week. Plain with a buttercream filling and light buttercream on the outside, then covered with fondant and a big fire engine on it!!

ilythia Sat 08-Jan-11 13:35:20

It's 8th feb, hang on, shall PM you about invite, not telling everyone or they'll gatecrash <<glares suspiciously at rest of MN>>

it has to feed 40shock so am worried one big cake will sink in the middle, madeira doesn't sink as easily, have you seen DD2's fire engine cake I made her? Was piece of piss! When is his party, can't believe he is 1!

deemented Sat 08-Jan-11 13:43:46

Oh no i haven't - pics please!!!

He's not having a party as such. Just us and a cake when boyo gets home from school. Maybe next year!

Instead of making one hugey one, what about a couple of smaller ones?

ilythia Sat 08-Jan-11 13:53:37

followed this video

will add a pic to profile in a bit.

DD1 wants a big hello kitty cake. I am not dealing with the meltdown when she doesn't get onegrin

deemented Sat 08-Jan-11 13:56:20

no, i mean, make little ones, but put them together to make one big one!

off to look at video!

ilythia Sat 08-Jan-11 13:59:20

pic on profile now.

I see... not a bad idea, they would cut up better then as well.
I know I will end up buying the cheap ones from tesco and just decorating it though, have assignment due in the day before the partyhmm

deemented Sat 08-Jan-11 14:03:38

I'm awfully dissapointed now - i thought it was going to be you showing me how to make the cake!!

deemented Sat 08-Jan-11 14:04:57

No fire emgine photo!

ilythia Sat 08-Jan-11 14:23:24

grin I do not appear on camera, you know this!

Christ knows what happened with that photo, trying again now cos I was so chuffed with it! took me, ooh, an hour?! plus the half an hour buying liquorice wheels, oreos, matchmakers and glace cherries!

deemented Sat 08-Jan-11 14:25:41

I do declare that's the fabbest pink fire engine i ever did see!!!

ilythia Sat 08-Jan-11 14:44:15

Suckup!

ilythia Sat 08-Jan-11 14:44:37

Had to be pink, she was most clear on that, hence not being able to give in and buy one!

deemented Sat 08-Jan-11 14:53:03

It's fab, i love it!

ilythia Sat 08-Jan-11 14:56:34

Come and vote on my hair cutting thread you!

deemented Sat 08-Jan-11 14:58:03

Where? Shall looksee now...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: