Talk

Advanced search

What vegetables to accompany

(6 Posts)
AbsofCroissant Thu 06-Jan-11 13:38:06

Tomorrow for dinner, we will be having sauteed chicken with cashew and pine nut pilau. I need to think of a vegetable (or some, but we're having various salads to start) that can go with it, and that can either be raw or cooked in advance.

I was thinking maybe wilted spinach or pak choi? I need some inspiration, as it's normally courgettes, b'nut squash and or mushrooms.

MakemineaGandT Thu 06-Jan-11 14:46:00

Yes - I was thinking wilted spinach or spring greens with wedges of lemon to squeeze over (do this at last moment as it can turn the green leaves brown)

You can't really do this in advance, but it will only take minutes if the spinach/greens are washed and sliced ready to stick in the pan - I do it in a wok with a little olive oil and just chuck it in and stir until it's wilted

storminabuttercup Thu 06-Jan-11 17:44:50

i would quite like broccoli with this...

tiokiko Thu 06-Jan-11 18:51:21

I love leeks cooked like this with chicken & pilav.

You can do them in advance and re-heat, or serve warm/room temperature if you prefer.

tiokiko Thu 06-Jan-11 18:53:22

PS I usually serve a yoghurty side thing too - greek yoghurt with crushed garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and some spices.

Depending on what your pilav is spiced with you could add cumin/allspice/cinnamon. Good with the leeks too and helps make everything come together.

Marlinspike Thu 06-Jan-11 18:57:12

Delia does a really nice roasted broccoli and cauliflower thing which has crushed cumin & coriander seeds - the flavours might work well together.

recipe here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now