Talk

Advanced search

Low-fibre breakfasts?

(10 Posts)
Rhian82 Thu 06-Jan-11 10:54:44

Can anyone recommend healthy breakfasts for toddlers that are also low in fibre? It feels like all breakfast stuff advertises itself as 'Low fat! High fibre!' even though that's the opposite of what toddlers need.

Until fairly recently DS (2.2) has had Weetabix, toast and yoghurt. But his nappies have always been really sloppy, so we're trying to reduce the fibre in his diet ? it's hard when we eat a lot of pasta!

He's mildly intolerant of eggs (can have quiche etc, but plain cooked eggs give him a rash) so don't fancy them, but are there any other suggestions? I like that cereals are fortified so he gets lots of goodness from them, just wish they had a little less fibre!

Seona1973 Thu 06-Jan-11 13:32:19

cereals like rice krispies and corn flakes would have a bit less fibre (especially if wheat is an issue). My lo's like rice cripsies multigrain shapes which contain rice, oats and corn.

falsemessageoflethargy Thu 06-Jan-11 13:35:12

Agree rice crispies is far and away the least fibrous then corn flakes. Other options include yoghurt without bits in and white toast/crumpets/rice cakes with philadelphia etc.

Shame about the eggs - they are the low fibre dieters best friend.

Careful wit hte multigrain shapes though - they are really high in fibre comparatively - only the rice crispies are low.

Can you tell I have to follow a low fibre diet smile

IAmRubyLennox Thu 06-Jan-11 14:24:33

will he eat banana?

DS2 has the opposite problem, so is only allowed banana on highdays and holidays because otherwise it bungs him up!

BornToFolk Thu 06-Jan-11 14:40:45

Ready brek? It has 7.9g of fibre per 100g, as opposed to 10g per 100g that Weetabix has.
I think that Ready Brek is the ideal toddler breakfast - no sugar or salt, fortified, easy to prepare, cheap. Hurrah! Shame it tastes like crap or I'd eat it myself...grin

Rhian82 Thu 06-Jan-11 14:50:12

Oooh, banana, good thinking! He'll eat it occasionally - but he likes banana milkshake (home-made, just banana and milk in a blender) so that could be a great route!

Unfortunately we've tried Rice Crispies and he doesn't seem to like them - go soggy too quickly!

falsemessageoflethargy Thu 06-Jan-11 15:30:11

erm bananas are high in soluble fibre. Thats why it bungs toddlers up.

IAmRubyLennox Thu 06-Jan-11 17:22:43

can you explain more, falsemessage? smile

tbh, I have no idea what's in them and neither do I really understand the whole debate about whether or not young children should have fibre or not - my knowledge is just based on feeding a child with a very 'lazy gut'.

falsemessageoflethargy Fri 07-Jan-11 10:13:38

Its complicated - as in IBS some people respond to a high fibre diet and some to a low fibre diet - ie for some people it keeps them regular and some it bungs them up - I cant have lots of fibre and so am on a low fibre diet and movicol every day.

In toddlers lots of fibre can often leave them constipated - so wholemeal bread and bananas etc can really bung them up.

Is your ds prone to constipation?

Sometimes you can think your dc have very runny poo and so you need more fibre whereas their poo can be runny because it is eascaping around constipation iyswim - sorry for tmi.

Really only a doctor can say a dc should be on a low or high fibre diet and they are often really bad at nutrition as well.

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 07-Jan-11 10:17:20

Weetabix makes DS have awful sloppy nappies, try switching to Oatibix for a little while and see if that makes a difference? Ready Brek may also be better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now