Talk

Advanced search

help with diabetes

(11 Posts)
xkatyx Wed 05-Jan-11 17:47:43

Hi everyone,

I have gestational diabetes i am 34 weeks pregnant.

Im controlling it by diet so most diabetic recipes dont suit me as i am not on insulin.

i am finding the last few weeks so hard after 3 months of controlling my diet but really miss something sweet.

please help

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Jan-11 17:50:01

katy - my toddler is climbing all over me but I will come back later

I've got a couple of good low-carb recipe books which do have some puddings in them.
What does fruit to your blood sugar?

LilRedWG Wed 05-Jan-11 17:50:45

I could have written your post word for word. Will be watching with interest.

xkatyx Wed 05-Jan-11 18:02:49

Fruit isnt to great to be honest, i have been fine but i thik with xmas and everyone eating choc i feel like i could cry!

I would love a bg lump of cake mmm

Thank you im looking forward to some recipes.

Lilredwg sorry your suffering too, its very grim.

BlooKangaWonders Wed 05-Jan-11 18:33:29

Have you tried low-carb cookbooks? I'm thinking of the India Knight and Neris something one. Their website is pig to twig.

Or have you tried something like natural fromage frais with splenda, or with a spoonful of cocoa powder to make a chocolate pudding?

But can't help with cake I'm afraid

Just a few more weeks for you - good luck

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Jan-11 18:53:26

Ok, not sure what you will make of these! A lot of the recipes are very fruit-based, and some use splenda - is splenda ok?

I'm interested to know what you think, I was diagnosed with GD just before Christmas although I must confess that I've largely continued to eat normally and my sugar levels have been fine - but I am sure it won't stay that way, I'm 29 weeks.

Vanilla Custard Cream
100ml of natural yoghurt and 1-egg yoke heated gently until it begins to bubble, then add 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence and stir until it reaches a custard consistency.

Book recommends serving this over a few berries and sprinkled with toasted almonds.

There is a cake recipe using almonds and splenda - shall I post that?

And here is a syllabub recipe which book suggests adding apricot puree to, but you could add whichever fruit does least to your sugar levels - the cream and eggs should help to balance the impact.

Syllabub
142ml pot of whipping cream
2 egg-whites
30g of splenda

Whip the cream, and whisk the eggs until they form stiff peaks. Then whisk the splenda into the egg whites.
Fold the eggs into the cream and then add whatever fruit puree you choose.

xkatyx Wed 05-Jan-11 18:55:04

Carbs aren't a prob for me, and the dietician said not to lower them?. Im fine with rice pasta etc.

Struggle with cereal (i miss it so much)

fruit

aand toast for some reasson hmm

thank you

xkatyx Wed 05-Jan-11 18:57:06

They sound yummy thank you, im just doing my food shop now so i shall be adding them.

Splenda is perfect.

Unfprtunetly i cant have any nuts due to DH allergy. mmmm i could eat them now

SacharissaCripslock Wed 05-Jan-11 18:58:14

Diabetes UK website have a recipe section, I've used it a little bit and it was good. Maybe you could check there to find something sweet that's suitable?

xkatyx Wed 05-Jan-11 19:06:04

i have, but unfortunetly they only sea to have recipes for insulin diabetics. i cant have any sugar at all as diet controlled.

im counting down the weeks smile

i found some no sugar diabetic jam today so just had some and it has made me so happy lol

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Jan-11 20:30:40

katy can you have sugar free jelly?

DH and I did a low-carb diet a couple of years ago, and for puddings we used to stir some splenda into a tub of ricotta and put that over the top of a sugar-free jelly - and then sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of options chocolate powder over the top.

Almost feels like eating a trifle - really satisfied the craving for sweet things!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: