Talk

Advanced search

So, my breadmaker just arrived....what do I need to get started?!

(20 Posts)
Fillybuster Wed 05-Jan-11 14:19:10

I'm very very excited but have no idea what I need....all advice appreciated!

mothersmilk Wed 05-Jan-11 14:32:27

what type is it?
i got one after crimbo and i love love love it mines panasonic with the seed and bit. Does it have a recipe book with it?

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 05-Jan-11 14:35:17

you need strong flour
the right type of yeast (buy one that says on the packet it's for breadmakers)

otherwise sugar, salt (normal granules), milk powder, butter or oil.

but if you want to have fun you can get lots of seeds and nuts for making interesting breads.

you really need to just read the instruction book; it ought to tell you everything.

TheProvincialLady Wed 05-Jan-11 14:37:34

I have never used milk powder. The absolute essentials are yeast, salt, sugar, strong flour and butter/oil.

I have the panasonic (same one as you mothersmilk) and the recipe book is very good IMO. I have tried most of them and they have all turned out beautifully. I make a white milk loaf for everyday consumption, or just a basic white or 50% wholemeal.

Fillybuster Wed 05-Jan-11 14:39:49

I've got the panasonic 257.....not quite ready to unwrap it yet (it just arrived from amazon about an hour ago)....want to have everything lined up before I start! Although DD1 is home ill and DD2 (aka Limpet Baby) will both be up within 30 mins, and then DS has to be collected from school....so I can see that I may have to stick at the planning stage for a few hours to come....

Is milk powder essential?

mousymouse Wed 05-Jan-11 14:40:28

just breadflour, water, yeast, salt, maybe oil.
you can use dried active yeast even though it says on the tin that it is not suitable (much better taste imo), but you need to dissolve it in the liquid first.

Fillybuster Wed 05-Jan-11 14:40:42

I've got 3 packets of yeast in my cupboard: dried, quick and sachets of dried. Any idea which are best? Thanks

mousymouse Wed 05-Jan-11 14:41:08

you can use any.

Rockbird Wed 05-Jan-11 14:42:27

Have you got butter, lots of it? Because once it beeps and the hot bread is ready to take out, you're going to need all the butter you can get <voice and hips of experience>

Fillybuster Wed 05-Jan-11 14:42:41

Hurrah! Thanks mousy - that's the best sort of answer What did you mean by dissolve it in the liquid? I thought you just chucked everything in at once?

Oh dear, perhaps it is time to RTFM....

Fillybuster Wed 05-Jan-11 14:43:51

Slightly concerned about the butter element, Rockbird...I have butter, amazing cheddar, lovely brie, some pretty good stilton and some luvverly homemade chutney.

I also have 9lbs of post-baby weight left to shift...

mousymouse Wed 05-Jan-11 14:50:28

I dissolve the yeast (amount you need see pack) in about 200ml warmish water and then put all ingredients into the breadmaker.

Alternatively you can use the sponge method in a breadmaker:
1cup water
1cup flour
half a teaspoon dried active yeast.
mix togehter and leave in the breadmaker for at least 6 hours (I do that before leaving for work in the morning)

after that add another cup of water, 500g flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon oil and switch on the mashine.

mousymouse Wed 05-Jan-11 14:51:03

only 9 pounds to shift? lucky you

Fillybuster Thu 06-Jan-11 14:12:19

Thanks - made my first ('quick') loaf last night....reasonable but not as good as my handmade ones, although I suspect I didn't add quite enough water.

I'm desperate to make a chocolate yeast cake today but don't think I'm going to have the time whilst dd2 is screanming and dd1 has a 40 degree temperature. Hey ho..probably should master the normal stuff before I attempt something silly, right?

sethstarkaddersmum Thu 06-Jan-11 14:16:17

you need to be quite precise with water quantities.
the quick settings won't be quite as nice as the longer ones.

breadmaker recipes often have more salt and sugar in than you would normally want; you can cut those down to make it taste better.

sethstarkaddersmum Thu 06-Jan-11 14:16:54

hope your dcs are better soon btw!

Quodlibet Thu 06-Jan-11 14:21:13

Just chipping in to say that homemade pizzas on the pizza dough setting are really quick and easy and DELICIOUS compared to shop-bought ones. We just used passata for the tomato topping.

Lilymaid Thu 06-Jan-11 14:22:50

I make almost all our bread overnight so we wake to the smell of freshly baked bread and the bread is baked on the 4 or 5 hour setting rather than the quick bake so is much nicer.

If you want a lighter wholemeal loaf you could get some Vitamin C powder (I prefer a denser loaf, but some people like fluffier bread). You don't need milk powder and you don't need sugar if you use the yeast recommended for breadmakers like Dove's Farm.

Fillybuster Fri 07-Jan-11 15:05:46

Thanks again. Made a luvverly sunflower and honey loaf last night!

We're all very excited about the pizza dough option - I suspect that will constitute Sunday lunch this week

FreeButtonBee Sat 08-Jan-11 12:52:51

I always use the french loaf setting no matter what recipe i use. The longer proof makes for a nicer loaf. Also i find i need to up the salt a wee bit (and just normal tabel salt, rather than poncey maldon salt flakes) but i am a salt fiend. Actally i use the french loaf recipe as my basic recipe and just vary the weight of flour to allow for other ingredients. A MN recommended that and have to agree its the best setting/recipe.

Even when making a wholewheat type loaf i still use about a third strong white flour. Makes it rise easier. Also get some linseed and other ground seeds (tesco do loads) and add an ounce or so to replace the flour.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: