Talk

Advanced search

How do I make sausage casserole without a packet mix?

(9 Posts)
MaybeTomorrow Wed 05-Jan-11 11:53:03

This may sound a strange question, but I've never made sausage casserole in my life (I only started eating sausages recently but my 18 month old DD loves them!) and my Mum always used to use a Colmans packet mix.

So, I have 6 sausages, all variations of stock cubes, carrots, peas, onions, potatoes.

I would like a quick recipe, anyone have any suggestions. Lots of the recipes I've found online require celery and tomato puree. I do have chopped tomatoes but DD doesn't tend to like anything tomatoey so would like to avoid them if possible otherwise she might not eat it!

I have taken the sausages out for tonight, so quick suggestions needed please!

Thank you in advance.

jjazz Wed 05-Jan-11 13:45:56

Best if you have a hob to oven type casserole dish- a worthwhile investment as it saves on either washing up or precious discwasher space.
Slowly fry onions thin carrot discs and garlic til translucent. remove. Brown sausages in same pan- a lid on stops the fat spitting everywhere. Return onions and garlic. Add a tin of tomatoes plus tom puree 1 tbsp brown sugar reduced aciditity. Frozen peas can be added at this stage along with mixed herbs and/ or bay leaf. Put in oven 180 deg c for 1 hr with baked potatoes for a really no hastle meal. I did this last week when my daughter has a friend over- all plates clean in no time!

jjazz Wed 05-Jan-11 13:47:34

I have 2 duck legs, runny honey, ginger, garlic chinede 5 spice powder and all the usual store cupboard stuff. Any tried and tested recipes please.

coldtits Wed 05-Jan-11 13:49:54

Make gravy. Pour gravy over the whole caboodle. Cassarole until it's all cooked.

MaybeTomorrow Wed 05-Jan-11 14:35:44

Thanks Jjazz but unfortunately my LO won't eat anything with a slight tomatoey taste - won't even eat Spaghetti Bolognaise!

Sounds lovely though!!

As for yours, unfortunately I've never cooked duck... But all your ingredients sound like a Chinese Duck recipe right there! smile

cestlavie Wed 05-Jan-11 14:43:09

You can always skip the tomato.

Just lightly fry the chopped onion and carrot until soft and translucent. Add in any fresh or dry herbs you have lying around - e.g. thyme, rosemary, sage, bay leaves or even a bouquet garni.

Add chopped sausages and turn down the heat (easiest if they're chopped cos they'll need to be chopped for the kids later!). Crumble in a chicken stock cube, bit of flour if you have any and some water. Stir til smooth and add more water til the sausages are covered. Bring pot to the simmer.

Thinly slice the potatos (about width of a pound coin). Lay all over the top in layers to make a lid. Put a dab of butter on each of them if you can be bothered! Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.

Stick pot in over on 140 degrees for 45 mins. Whack up to 200 degrees for further 15 minutes. You get lovely crunchy soft potato slices on top of your casserole! Lovely... my mum used to make similar for me when I was little after going swimming...

DilysPrice Wed 05-Jan-11 14:58:23

A splash of Lea & Perrins and a teaspoon of Dijon mustard should help.

Snorbs Wed 05-Jan-11 15:13:40

You can also add in any other veg you have handy. I often add in sweet potato and/or swede. And things like kidney beans, cannelini beans, lentils, chickpeas etc go nicely with it too.

IlovePeterAndre Thu 06-Jan-11 20:33:24

I have a really simple sausage caserole recipe thats delicious but doesn't require a pre made mix. Just follow the instructions on the packet as usual but (and this is crucial) just skip the bit where it tells you to add the mix. My lot love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now