Talk

Advanced search

Light but delicious starter ideas needed

(33 Posts)
MmeLindt Tue 04-Jan-11 19:42:53

We have guests coming tomorrow and I am making a chicken, bacon and mushroom pie (puff pastry).

Dessert will be Jamie's Frangipane Tarts.

Any ideas for a light starter? Don't want anything too stodgy, or we won't have space for dessert.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Jan-11 20:39:42

Prawn cocktail?

onepieceoflollipop Tue 04-Jan-11 20:41:21

melon and parma ham?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Jan-11 20:43:49

Hula hoops?

MmeLindt Tue 04-Jan-11 21:02:42

LOL at Hula Hoops.

I don't think that they sell them here in Switzerland.

DH is allergic to shellfish, so could only do prawns if I had an alternative for him.

Melon would be good, DC like it too.

DS loves Parma Ham - I caught him munching on raw bacon today because he thought it was Parma.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Jan-11 21:05:17

If they don't sell them in Switzerland you should get some mailed over. Your guests would probably think they were quite exotic grin

MakemineaGandT Tue 04-Jan-11 21:05:37

with pastry in the main and pudding courses I think something tasty but light like a seasonal salad - eg watercress with pears, croutons and a little blue cheese and some toasted walnuts

tassisssss Tue 04-Jan-11 21:07:01

smoked salmon?

do you need to bother?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Jan-11 21:09:28

Smoked salmon sounds yum.

Will soup be too filling?

MmeLindt Tue 04-Jan-11 21:13:08

JJJ
They live in London, are Scottish/English so probably not going to be impressed by exotic tube crisps.

Do I need a starter? Probably not, just feels like a more complete meal with one.

Soup too heavy, I think.

Hmm. I could do salad.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Jan-11 21:19:31

What do the Swiss have for starter?

MmeLindt Tue 04-Jan-11 21:30:05

Um. Salads mainly, I think.

I don't often order a starter, as I find it too filling to have one as well as a main course. And if I were to chose, would always go for a dessert rather than a starter.

I could do a Champagne cocktail instead of a starter.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Jan-11 21:38:29

Champagne cocktail would do it for me. There again though I would have been happy with the Hula Hoops grin

TheBigZing Tue 04-Jan-11 21:44:29

Caprese salad - slices of fresh buffalo mozzarella, slices of large tomato, drizzled with good quality olive oil and scattered with fresh basil leaves.

Light, simple, delicious.

ivykaty44 Tue 04-Jan-11 21:47:09

Champagne cocktail grin

MakemineaGandT Tue 04-Jan-11 21:48:39

oh yes - champagne cocktail would be a hit with me rather than a starter! Stuff the salad!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Jan-11 21:50:39

champagne cocktail followed by caprese salad?

MmeLindt Tue 04-Jan-11 21:52:46

Ok.

Um. How do I make a Champagne Cocktail then?

Champagne, I have.

MakemineaGandT Tue 04-Jan-11 21:56:15

Bellinis are nice - an inch of peach juice in the bottom of the flute, topped up with champagne

fatsatsuma Tue 04-Jan-11 21:56:56

I may be a bit late, but I made this salad on New Year's Eve and it went down very well. I was also looking for something light. It includes bacon but you could miss it out or substitute for something else.

MmeLindt Tue 04-Jan-11 22:01:43

fatsatsuma
that is my normal starter salad, or one very similar. Mine is with bacon and mushrooms, which is obviously not going to work with a chicken, bacon and mushroom pie.

Bellini sounds good.

CaptainNancy Tue 04-Jan-11 22:03:40

Pear and blue cheese salad?

(I was going to suggest melon and parma with a raspberry coulis... but I was beaten to it smile)

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Jan-11 22:07:07

Would this recipe do?

MmeLindt Tue 04-Jan-11 22:10:32

What on earth is Bitters? This is all to complicated for me.

When I was younger my mother used to artfully arranged two lettuce leaves on a plate, place some prawns on them then dollop a spoonful of Mary Rose sauce on the top. If she was feeling really fancy, she would decorate the plate with some dried herbs.

I do have some Aperol, could do Aperol Spritz and be done with it. Don't think I have Cognac.

MmeLindt Tue 04-Jan-11 22:12:25

Thank you all though, for your wonderful help.

Checked the liquor cabinet (ie, Ikea shelf). We do not have Cognac. No surprise, we don't drink spirits so only have odd bottles that we have received as presents over the years.

We still have about 1/4 of the bottle of whisky we got as a wedding present in 1997.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: