Talk

Advanced search

Aga recipes for dinner

(12 Posts)
chicaguapa Sun 02-Jan-11 20:47:12

We are staying at my dad's next weekend while he's away and have some friends coming to stay. He doesn't have a conventional oven. Any ideas what I can cook for tea? It doesn't need to be fancy but it would be good if it could be something that makes the most of being cooked in an Aga as I know it makes food very tasty.

Thanks.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Jan-11 22:10:29

Have you tried on here

meltedmarsbars Wed 05-Jan-11 21:20:02

Roast meat. Lasagne. Stew and dumplings.

Anything that needs long cooking in the oven. Are you a seasoned Aga cook?

Enjoy! smile

Spidermama Wed 05-Jan-11 21:27:29

I make stews (leaving the potatoes nice and big as they are slowly cooked and infused with flavour), roasted veg, baked potatoes.

How about this for a starter ....

Roasted veg (aubergine, tomatoes, red onions, garlic, courgettes) brushed with oil, sprinkled with salt. These come out beautifully moist. Toss in good quality (maybe even homemade if you are in domestic goddess mode) pesto.

Put the veg on a bed of rocket-type salad.

On top, put a whole portion of goat's cheese which has been drizzled with honety then put in the oven and melted til soft and warm.

Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts or sesame seeds.

It's always worth roasting some garlic in it's skin. Squeeze out the roasted garlic and you have a seriously tasty puree which can be added to soups, stews, dressings or anything really.

I LOVE my Rayburn.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 05-Jan-11 21:28:23

Agalinks would be the best place - you have to register but it's free.
Main principle is to keep the lids down as much as poss, so you'd brown on the hotplates, simmer for 10 mins or so, then transfer to the simmering oven for twice the usual cooking period.
Or, with a roast, start off in the hot roasting oven and transfer, again for twice the cooking time (not chicken, obviously).
It also does basic things like bangers & mash really well; bake the sausages on the bottom of the roasting oven and do the spuds in the simmering, after bringing to the boil and draining.
Spag Bol and the like also good - everything, in fact!

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 05-Jan-11 21:31:05

Oh, and remember that you never need much liquid; it doesn't evaporate away like in a conventional oven because of the ambient heat.

Spidermama Wed 05-Jan-11 21:42:04

I've never managed to make a good cake in the Rayburn. Too moist. It doesn't cook inside.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 05-Jan-11 21:52:11

Not so in the Aga < sad >.
Has an oven speshly for cakes smile.

meltedmarsbars Thu 06-Jan-11 22:16:34

Why sad, WWWY?

WhatsWrongWithYou Fri 07-Jan-11 11:11:35

Oh, just that I'm banging on about the joys of the Aga blush.
I do love it, though.

MorocconOil Fri 07-Jan-11 21:56:11

Roasted root veg: parsnip, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and carrots are delicious in the aga.

Serve with lambchops grilled in the top oven and mash.

Steamed sponge puddings are out of this world.

Am so sad as we move soon and leave behind our beloved Aga.sad

PaulaYates Fri 07-Jan-11 22:02:41

i have been a much better cake baker since the aga
good ideas on here
love your recipe spidermama

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: