Talk

Advanced search

Easy chick pea recipes please

(23 Posts)
UnSerpentQuiCourt Sun 02-Jan-11 13:29:20

Trying to reduce our Stored Food Mountain, I have emptied a whole bag of chick peas into water to soak. How can I use them to make easy meal(s)? (Preferably with not too many exotic additions, otherwise I defeat my purposes by having to go out to buy something).

Montifer Sun 02-Jan-11 13:32:31

This look good if you have chorizo in your mountain.

Otherwise add them to a tomato, chilli, onion base served with halloumi and crusty bread, works well with spinach added too.

UnSerpentQuiCourt Sun 02-Jan-11 13:59:43

Don't have chorizo, but do have half a salami. which should do. Two nice ideas - thanks!

bullet234 Sun 02-Jan-11 14:03:59

I did the following yesterday with dried peas, so would think you can substitute them for chick peas.

Soak the peas/chick peas over night in water. Rinse and add to fresh water in a large pan, with two large chopped carrots, two parsnips and two beef stock cubes. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Place in a blender and whiz up. Wash the pan and then put some butter and flour and melt the butter. Return the soup to the pan and warm up and dissolve the flour. I added tarragon as well as salt and pepper, but you can add what you like.

tiokiko Sun 02-Jan-11 14:41:01

Nice in a casserole with pork, tomatoes, red peppers/smoked paprika.

Make a tomato sauce then add chickpeas and roasted aubergine chunks.

Veg soup + chickpeas + dollop of pesto and nice bread.

Chickpea & sweet potato curry.

Chickpeas & spinach as a side dish/main dish is lovely - recipe from Moro is my favourite.

misscph1973 Sun 02-Jan-11 14:43:16

Houmous (spelling?) - 2 cups soaked chickpeas, juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 clove garlic + dash of soy. Blitz in blender (smooth or coarse). Serve w salad in pitta breads.

Amazingly healthy (the raw olive oil) and tasty!

UnSerpentQuiCourt Sun 02-Jan-11 16:07:10

I shall print these all off and keep them - at this rate I will be buying more chick peas so that I can try them all out!

CrispyTheChristmasCracker Sun 02-Jan-11 16:12:08

Houmous (as per misscph), Tomato & chorizo casserole (New COvent Garden recipe), Fiery chickpea salad (Ainsley recipe), Squash & chickpea dhansak

Let me know if you want any of the recipes and i will try and dig them out smile

squashedfrogs Sun 02-Jan-11 16:21:56

Chickpea, chorizo & spinach stew is lovely! Probably not going to be much use to you today as it needs bits and pieces that you may not have but it's definitely worth trying if you start having chickpeas regularly.

BelligerentGhoul Sun 02-Jan-11 16:24:05

Crispy - I'd love your recipe for squash and chickpea dhansak, if you can be bothered please.

CrispyTheChristmasCracker Sun 02-Jan-11 16:31:14

Chicken Dhansak

1 tablespoons groundnut or vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic
3cm ginger, chopped
1 red chilli
½ bunch coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilli powder
4 chicken breasts chopped into pieces
1 x 400g can tinned tomatoes
200ml chicken stock
150g red lentils
salt and pepper

Firstly make the curry paste by putting all the paste ingredients into a blender and blitzing until smooth. Heat a wok or deep frying pan and throw in the paste. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
Add the chicken to the pan and continue to stir fry until the chicken is coated in the paste and begins to go slightly golden. Pour over the tomatoes, stock and lentils, give a good stir and cook slowly for 30 minutes. You want the sauce to be thickened and reduced and the lentils to be plump and soft. Season with salt and pepper.

belligerent Above is the chicken recipe i have C&P'd which i then just altered to make vegetarian. For the vege version, i steamed cubes of an orange variety squash until just cooked (could replace with sweet potato i guess) and then added that and a tin of chickpeas to the sauce 5 mins before the end of cooking. Also used veg stock instead of chicken, obv. My Vege friend said it was delicious and i don't think she was being polite grin

BelligerentGhoul Sun 02-Jan-11 16:33:06

Thank you. I see that it has tinned tomatoes in it though and since these are the Food Of Satan, do you think it would be okay to leave them out and use extra stock or something?

CrispyTheChristmasCracker Sun 02-Jan-11 16:49:12

LOL @ food of Satan grin. I presume you mean the fact that they are tomatoes rather than just tinned? I would leave out but not add more stock as it would be too thin. I would add something like okra or aubergine though as it may be a bit 'lacking' if you have nothing. Or try it and see. Always plenty of opportunities for sampling different curries IMO blushgrin

BelligerentGhoul Sun 02-Jan-11 17:13:11

Ta - don't like okra or aubergine either though! I could add squash AND sweet potato. I also thought that dhansak usually had some fruit in it, usually pineapple?

tethersend Sun 02-Jan-11 17:20:42

Falafel- mash them up with flour, salt, lemon juice, garlic and chopped coriander- roll into balls, roll in sesame seeds and fry for a few minutes.

I do an aubergine and tomato sauce and yoghurt to have with.

CrispyTheChristmasCracker Sun 02-Jan-11 17:21:00

I don't think so, Dhansak normally just signifies Lentils to me, however i am sure pineapple could be added for a fussy bint you winkgrin

Brasso4 Sun 02-Jan-11 17:21:20

There is a great Waitrose recipe card that uses a tin (but you could substitute) of chickpeas. Chicken with cous cous. Have a look on their website.

tethersend Sun 02-Jan-11 17:21:24

Arf- maybe leave off the aubergine and tomato sauce, eh?

CrispyTheChristmasCracker Sun 02-Jan-11 17:23:28

Ooh yes, i forgot about falafel - love them too! I like the sound of your sauce tethersend....

tethersend Sun 02-Jan-11 17:24:44

Thank you crispy. You can come for tea.

CrispyTheChristmasCracker Sun 02-Jan-11 17:25:57

<gets out diary>

BelligerentGhoul Sun 02-Jan-11 17:27:32

Sorry Crispy - it sounds lovely now!

Falafel - yum.

Also - tagine. Cook your chickpeas.
In a huge pan, fry some oniion and garlic then add cinammon, paprika, ginger and honey and a splurge of lemon juice. Add lots of veggies (I use potatoes, carrots, peppers, cabbage, green beans usually) and the drained chickpeas then cook in the oven for ages in vegetable stock. Serve with harissa and cous cous. Yum.

UnSerpentQuiCourt Sun 02-Jan-11 18:39:10

All sounding very good. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now