Talk

Advanced search

Dairy-free chocolate mousse (the sort with raw eggs)

(6 Posts)
PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Fri 31-Dec-10 10:49:54

Will it still be good if I make a classic chocolate mousse (bitter choc, liqueur, egg yolks, whipped cream, beaten egg whites) but leave out the cream?

And will it be set by this evening?

DilysPrice Fri 31-Dec-10 10:54:44

I do chocolate mousse with 8 eggs and 200g chocolate and it's fine, but you have to do the egg whites in installments to get them very stiff. If you do it absolutely now and eat lateish you should get away with the timings.

frenchfancy Fri 31-Dec-10 11:51:51

200g chocolate, 6 eggs, 60g sugar (whipped up with the egg whites) and any liqueur you like. Six hours resting, though frankly I've eaten it after two.

Oh and add a pinch of salt - makes all the difference.

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Fri 31-Dec-10 12:27:26

I did it. But I am so utterly and furiously hacked off with myself that I feel like chucking the whole lot in the bin!

I forgot to put in the secret ingredient and now it's all a waste.

There's no point buying more ingredients because it won't have time to set.

I am angryangryangry with myself.

The dc can have it.

DilysPrice Fri 31-Dec-10 12:37:00

Is the secret ingredient the booze? Can you whip it into some cream and serve on the side for the dairy eaters and give it to the non-dairy person in a shot glass? (or perhaps mixed into some melted chocolate, but that might not work).

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Fri 31-Dec-10 13:04:04

Now I'm doubly hacked off at myself because I have thought of a way I could have rescued it, and incorporated the SI (not booze, BTW), but because I have scraped the mousse out of the individual dishes and chucked it into the fridge in one bowl, it is too late.

Argh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now