Talk

Advanced search

January yummy recipes help please

(18 Posts)
BelligerentYhoULE Thu 30-Dec-10 20:23:40

After pigging out on chocolate, biscuits etc for days, I am now really fancying things like Thai curry etc.

Does anybody have any brilliant vegetarian recipes for Thai style curries, Thai salads, anything else fresh and crunchy and light tasting please?

BelligerentYhoULE Thu 30-Dec-10 22:33:04

Nobody?

WafflingOn Fri 31-Dec-10 10:22:36

I love this soup - it's not really fresh and crunchy though, more mushy and comforting!

Thai soup

JetLi Fri 31-Dec-10 10:31:04

My sis makes this Thai style soup at Hallowe'en - tis lush. We leave the rice balls out though.

Have a look at Tom Yum soup recipes & Vietnamese Pho recipes for beautiful, clear, tube-clearing soups. Not sure what would be a veggie substitute for the fish sauce though (hence my recipes won't help TBH - am addicted to the smelly stuff!).

BelligerentYhoULE Fri 31-Dec-10 12:11:15

Thank you both. Waffling - we seem to live on coconut milk and lentil soup, so that was good one!

Thanks for giving me names of recipes to Google, Jet - very useful! I'd probably just add a slug of soy and some lime juice instead of the fish sauce - not the same but still tasty.

BelligerentGhoul Sat 01-Jan-11 14:04:04

Hopeful January bump.

Doesn't have to be Thai - anuthing fresh, crispy tasting etc - but not just boring salad!

tiokiko Sat 01-Jan-11 19:13:27

I love this Vietnamese Chicken Salad from Nigella but tweak it like this:

- use chinese leaf instead of white cabbaga
- add a finely sliced bulb of fennel
- use more chilli - usually 1 red + 1 green plus a hot one

It's so nice, really healthy but tastes exciting and there is a lot of eating in it so I don't feel deprived.

I think I'll make it tomorrow actually - yum.

BelligerentGhoul Sat 01-Jan-11 19:17:59

Thank you - need vegetarian though.

tethersend Sat 01-Jan-11 19:43:29

this looks nice...

Actually, a lot of his recipes seem like they would fit the bill- light and delicious, if a little complicated.

tethersend Sat 01-Jan-11 19:44:59

Yum

BelligerentGhoul Sat 01-Jan-11 19:45:46

Ooh yes, that looks fab - I love edamame. Thanks Tethers.

tethersend Sat 01-Jan-11 19:46:32

More yum

BelligerentGhoul Sat 01-Jan-11 19:48:38

Yuk to the eggy thing but yum to figs.

tethersend Sat 01-Jan-11 20:29:46

Yes, try and ignore the egg grin

WafflingOn Sat 01-Jan-11 21:48:36

Some more of my favourite things :

lentil chilli with 3-4 peppers added as a bit dull otherwise

lentil salad

risotto

curry

Wonder if I eat too many lentils?

BelligerentGhoul Sat 01-Jan-11 21:52:38

Thanks for these - all great but mostly not crunchy! I Want Crunchy.

Yum to feta though - adds to Sainsbo's order...

tiokiko Sat 01-Jan-11 22:09:21

Oops, sorry Belligerent - I've also made the same salad with sauteed tofu and it was really good. I still used fish sauce as not veggie any more, guess you could just substitute soy? Would be nice with some toasted cashews too and v crunchy all round.

BelligerentGhoul Sat 01-Jan-11 22:15:17

Don't be sorry. Tofu sounds good - even the fussy dds like tofu! AND cashews - sounds like a plan...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: