Talk

Advanced search

Can I freeze mozzarella?

(6 Posts)
happysmiley Thu 30-Dec-10 11:28:42

For some reason DH has taken it upon himself to buy a mountain of mozzarella, which we can't possibly eat before the best before date. Can I freeze it? And if so, do I just put it in the freezer in the original packaging or should I grate it first?

SmacSmackedSanta Thu 30-Dec-10 11:39:11

I have never tried freezing a lump of mozzarella but I buy the bags of grated stuff from Tesco and it freezes fine. Handy for adding to pizza toppings etc. I think grating it first is a good idea then you can take out what you need rather than a big lump.

oxocube Thu 30-Dec-10 13:35:17

I always thought not but would be happy to be proved wrong!

Seabright Fri 31-Dec-10 10:15:49

Yes, I freeze it all the time, as I can never use it all in one go. I cut into usable size chunks and freeze. The mini mozzarella balls from sainsburys freeze well to

happysmiley Fri 31-Dec-10 12:28:07

Perfect, it will be grated and frozen then. And DH will not need to buy mozzarella ever again. smile

oxocube Fri 31-Dec-10 18:19:18

Thinking about it, the mozzarella on frozen pizzas is ..... frozen (duh!) so why did I always think you couldn't freeze it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: