Talk

Advanced search

What do you cook in your Rice Cooker?

(15 Posts)
Hohumchops Thu 30-Dec-10 07:44:13

Got one for Xmas when asked for a slow cooker. No experience of either. Rice cooker says does slow too. Should I keep it?

Fifichef Thu 30-Dec-10 12:36:27

No I wouldn't - pretty useless unless you are on 'the rice diet!' and it'll take up valuable space. If you can - change it for a slow cooker.

TheChewyToffeeMum Thu 30-Dec-10 12:39:14

I use mine loads - it is a tefal combined rice/slow/porridge/steamer cooker.
I use it most often for plain rice - it is great to be able to chuck the rice and water in and leave it to cook and keep warm without needing to worry about it sticking or boiling over or getting cold.
I also use it to do risotto and other savoury rice type things eg pilafs.
I suppose it depends how often you eat rice. my DD would live on it so we have it quite alot.

Hohumchops Thu 30-Dec-10 18:59:31

It is the Tefal one i've been given. The slow cooker cook book i was also given seems like you have to do a lot to the food first - pretty much cook it all - before you put it in. Doesn't that defeat the object?

TheChewyToffeeMum Fri 31-Dec-10 09:31:39

Yes - alot of slow cooker recipes are like this and it puts me off them. I think there are a few slow-cooker afficionados on here though who could give a few tips on shortcuts.

Seabright Fri 31-Dec-10 10:12:24

I have both & use both lots. I just do rice in the rice cooker.

Plenty of slow cooker recipes over complicate thing, I thick. I just chuck stuff in and it's fine.

YunoYurbubson Fri 31-Dec-10 10:16:12

Ummmm... Rice?

Is it a trick question?

JetLi Fri 31-Dec-10 10:16:52

Same as Seabright - pretty much ignore all the pre-browning malarky in the slow cooker recipes. I just chuck it all in. I agree it defeats the object to mess around frying stuff first, especially since my SC gets the most hammer on a work day when I have zero time to be arsing around with a frying pan.

OP - can you do a link to your machine? Is it the same as this beastie?

Scootergrrrl Fri 31-Dec-10 10:19:30

Another vote for chuck it in and it'll be fine. Although if you're making bolognaise, or anything with mince, cook the onions and garlic first in the slow cooker then add the mice and a bit of milk and cook that so you can break the mince up, otherwise it all clumps together and its a bit icky.
I have the Tefal one and its good, although the slow cooker cooks quite hot so I wouldn't want to leave something in all day like I would with a normal one on low.

onmyfeet Fri 31-Dec-10 10:25:33

I have both, and rarely use the rice cooker. We don't like how the rice turns out. However, I love my slow cooker.

onmyfeet Fri 31-Dec-10 10:27:00

Oh yeah, I have only cooked rice in the rice cooker but ds's gf had one at college and made macaroni and cheese in hers.

Hohumchops Fri 31-Dec-10 18:08:00

Yes J, tis the same as that beastie

JetLi Sat 01-Jan-11 12:06:39

Looks a good piece of kit that HoHumchops.

QueenofWhatever Sun 02-Jan-11 10:46:11

I love mine. A frequent dish here is Spanish style rice (basmati at a push), chorizo, frozen peppers and peas with some paella seasoning or pimenton. Door to table in under 30 minutes with time to watch the Simpsons inbetween.

Slow cooking, chuck it all in. The packet mixes you can get in supermarkets are really useful, just don't use all of it.

I use mine at least a couple of times a week and think it is brilliant.

midnightexpress Sun 02-Jan-11 10:57:24

I usew the rice cooker on mine (also a tefal) more than the slow cooker. I love it.

QoW, do you just check the other ingredients in with the rice when you cook that, or cook the rice and the rest ? It sounds good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: