Talk

Advanced search

Embarrassed loose tea question...

(12 Posts)
wangle99 Mon 27-Dec-10 22:35:03

DH bought me a lovely tea hamper for Christmas that had a lovely little teapot and loose leaf tea in it. I have never used loose leaf tea before and have no idea how much to use. There was brewing instructions on the packet but not instructions on how much you need to put in the teapot! blush Help!

MrsDingDongMerrily Mon 27-Dec-10 22:45:05

Depends how strong you like your tea, but the old rule was a teaspoon per person plus one for the pot. If you usually use one teabag per person that should be fairly equivalent.

stleger Mon 27-Dec-10 22:45:30

Is there a special spoon with it for measuring? The rule was always 'one for each person and one for the pot' - so tea for two needed three spoons of leaves. It is hit and miss, you find out by trial and error really.

Starisonthetree Mon 27-Dec-10 22:47:05

How lovely, agree with the one teasoon each and one for the pot

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 27-Dec-10 22:52:37

Unless there are half a dozen people wanting tea, in which case it might get rather strong! Max of 4 per pot, IIRC.

SantosLHalper Mon 27-Dec-10 22:54:51

A teaspoon per person and one for the pot.

wangle99 Tue 28-Dec-10 08:41:03

Thank you! Am going to make myself a cup of tea now using it. I think DH was a bit upset I haven't made a cup before now but I think I would have probably used way too much.

YourCallIsImportant Tue 28-Dec-10 09:10:14

Is there a strainer too? I remember my gran having a tea strainer, like a tiny sieve.

purepurple Tue 28-Dec-10 09:15:11

I used to work in Betty's tea rooms, so have made a lot of tea. Find out how many cups your teapot holds. Then use one heaped teaspoon per person plus one for the cup. And you will absolutely need a tea strainer.

catinthehat2 Tue 28-Dec-10 09:29:50

and whatever you do,you MUST warm the pot with boili mn g water first, it is the law. And bring the pot to the kettle not the kettle to the pot when it's time to pour the hw.
Bettys tearoom I love them!!!!

schroeder Tue 28-Dec-10 12:30:21

Am I the only one not keen on Bettys? Way too expensive for what it is, and the queues! It's just not worth it.

missmartha Tue 28-Dec-10 13:19:16

It also depends on the type of tea you use.

I assume this is black tea.

White and green teas both vary in the amount needed for a decent cuppa.

But as a general rule, yes, one per person and one for the pot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: