Talk

Advanced search

Nigella says 'Do NOT throw away the cooking liquid' for ham in coke - what am I meant to do with it?

(30 Posts)
CheckeredFlag Fri 24-Dec-10 17:05:35

It doesn't specify in the recipe!

Fayrazzled Fri 24-Dec-10 17:07:21

Sha has a soup recipe you use it in. Can't remember which book it's in though.

geordieminx Fri 24-Dec-10 17:08:46

There is a black bean soup recipe. Not very nice though

TheOldestCat Fri 24-Dec-10 17:09:46

Doing Tesco's version of this right now. It says to reduce the liquid by half to make a sauce. Then some can be used to glaze chicken / spare ribs.

nannyl Fri 24-Dec-10 18:43:37

just made this too

decided bean and coke soup didn really appeal to me so chucked the coke onion stuff down the sink

ham was very yummy!

CheckeredFlag Fri 24-Dec-10 21:31:40

It's gone in the compost! Just caught it before it burnt so don't think it will be much use for anything else. The ham was bloody gorgeous though, the tastiest thing ever. All devoured now!

WishIWasRimaHorton Fri 24-Dec-10 21:33:19

is it really that nice, ham in coke? have never been brave enough to try it. sounds v ikky.

CheckeredFlag Fri 24-Dec-10 21:34:37

I can't describe how really, really nice it is, doesn't taste of coke at all but so rich and flavourful, beautiful.

Ilythia Fri 24-Dec-10 21:57:11

Is lovely, FIL was decidely hmm about it and prepared to be disgusted but I just caught him scarfing a big lump off it from the fridgegrin It was supposed to be for breakfast!

herbietea Fri 24-Dec-10 22:02:06

Message withdrawn

lizandlulu Fri 24-Dec-10 22:04:51

i have done my ham tonight and dont it nigellas way which i love, dh not so keen, but my liquid has just gone straight down the sink, bleugh to the blackbean soup!

SeriousWispaHabit Mon 27-Dec-10 12:45:34

I cooked red cabbage in some of it and added balsamic vinegar. Was delish.

MurkyTurkey Mon 27-Dec-10 16:58:36

I did my ham in cranberry and apple juice then cooked red cabbage in the liquor. We had it with buttery mash and it was the nicest meal I have eaten all year.

KangarooCaught Mon 27-Dec-10 16:59:52

Avoid the recipe that tells you what to do with it, it's vile

KangarooCaught Mon 27-Dec-10 17:01:20

The ham was devoured yesterday by guests. Cannily waiting for someone to start carving and he was there for 25 mins grin

taffetazatyousantaclaus Mon 27-Dec-10 20:56:57

I use ham stock watered down with er, water and make soup with it. Its way too strong to use on its own. Don't know if this would work with the coke recipe, have never done that.I did a ham and lentil soup with normal ham stock a few weeks back which was very nice.

Blatherskite Mon 27-Dec-10 21:04:44

I thought you were supposed to cook the Red cabbage in it?

I have the book - I'll check...

Blatherskite Mon 27-Dec-10 22:42:09

It's definitely for cooking red cabbage in. Recipe is on the Ham recipe page, in grey on the left hand side of page 206

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-Dec-10 15:13:20

I wondered about this too. In the end the decision was made as my wonderful mother threw it down the sink even though I had specifically said that I needed to keep it.

StealthPolarBear Tue 28-Dec-10 15:16:11

If you cooke red cabbage in it make sure you tell any vegis!

Blatherskite Tue 28-Dec-10 20:00:59

We made Ham in Cherry coke for Christmas last year and made the cabbage.

TBH, I'd tip it down the sink, the cabbage was awful.

DilysPrice Tue 28-Dec-10 20:10:12

The red cabbage version is from Feast (which is a cherry Coke variant), whereas the black bean soup is from How To Eat (normal Coke). Never tried the black bean soup but the red cabbage works equally well with the normal coke stock.
You just shred a red cabbage, add it to the stock along with a couple of tablespoons of vinegar (red wine vinegar for pref, but balsamic or cider probably also good), and simmer for about an hour. Fabulously good with the ham and mash.

MayorNaze Tue 28-Dec-10 20:11:38

we have a bottle of cherry coke

nobody likes it

now i know what to do with it

CheckeredFlag Tue 28-Dec-10 20:18:26

I got the recipe from the website, hence not seeing the red cabbage bit. Sounds good though, I'll try that next time. Might check out the black bean recipe too, I've never made that.

partystress Tue 28-Dec-10 20:20:24

oh, just doing ham in ordinary Coke now, from memory and half cut. will take til past midnight as stayed at a party longer than planned.... don't remember any onion though - am I supposed to chuck one in? Whole? Chopped? Anything else??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: