Talk

Advanced search

5 rib 6kg rib of beef

(9 Posts)
monkeysmama Fri 24-Dec-10 16:35:29

A hamper from dp's work has just arrived with a rib of beef with 5 ribs weighing 5.7kg. I've already cooked our gammon for tomorrow so apart from veg the oven will be free. We have extra guests due to the weather so I want to cook the joint of beef but have no idea how / how long for etc. It is from Fortnum and Mason but doesn't have any cooking guidance on it.

I like my meat medium but think most of dp's family will want it burnt.

Any tips very much appreciated. Have a large selection of herbs, onions, garlic, oil, stock etc.

arentfanny Fri 24-Dec-10 16:37:52

Yum can I come? I usually follow Nigella's timings, 210 for 30 mins per KG for rare so you will want to up it a bit, cook it how you want to and then whack it in the microwave for the heathens. I don't usually do anything to it except seal it in hot oil before putting in the oven.

monkeysmama Fri 24-Dec-10 16:45:23

Thanks Fanny. When you say up it a bit do you mean cook it on a higher heat or for longer? Does the microwave not dry it out?

And yes, the more the merrier grin

jacksgrannie Fri 24-Dec-10 16:48:46

Have you got Delia? She is excellent on the timings for roast rib of beef. In her winter cookery book. Please don't over-cook it - those whole like their meat well-done can have the outside bits!

She suggests rubbing the surface of the meat with mustard powder/plain flour mixture (one dessertspoon of each) and season with s & p before cooking. Pop a raw onion in with the meat while cooking - caramelises and makes lovely gravy, but take out if it burns.

Delia says 20 mins cooking in pre-hgeated oven gas mark 9 or 240C, then turn down to gas mark 5 or 190C and cook for 15 mins to the pound (450g) for rare, adding another 15 minutes for medium rare and another 30 mins for well-done.

Make sure you take out of oven at least 30 mins before serving to rest before carving - you make the gravy at this point.

Sounds wonderful - what time do you want us all to arrive?? (Ponders free-range, organic, hand-reared turkey and wonders if too late to get to butchers).

arentfanny Fri 24-Dec-10 16:50:31

Longer, I have microwaved before SMIL likes hers burnt aswell and it is OK. I would try 35 mins per KG, if you take it out and let it rest then it will still stay tender.

skandi1 Fri 24-Dec-10 16:53:35

another vote for the delia method above.

thats what i'll be doing tomorrow.

your hamper sounds amazing!!! enjoy your beef and posh bits.

mugggletoeandwine Fri 24-Dec-10 16:55:02

I got a cheap bath set from my worksad

I want that beef instead.

monkeysmama Fri 24-Dec-10 17:15:32

grin Thanks everyone.

Annprudence1 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:59:27

I’ve got a 10 kilo rib of beef for a shoot lunch yikes any help please

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: