Talk

Advanced search

Those of you "Nigella-ing" your turkey......

(12 Posts)
LauraNorder Wed 22-Dec-10 22:15:06

......are you smothering the turkey breast in a flavoured butter like Gordon and Jamie do? What does Nigella do?

PixieX Wed 22-Dec-10 22:22:41

Im doing the brine soak - in fact, I've put the turkey in the brine about an hour ago.

However, Im not going to smother it in maple syrup to roast it. I read an article on line from The Guardian newspaper last year I think and it said that the brine affect is wonderful at keeping the turkey juicy and extra flavoured ... but Nigella has become too americanised in making all her food sickly sweet - so it recommended not using the maple syrup etc.

I thought this was a great tip as I could see how it becomes too sweet if you baste it in the syrup when roasting ... but the brining thing works just as well if you smother it in butter/oil to make the skin crispy.

Im just hoping the brine does exactly what Nigella says and doesn't make it too salty ! Fingers crossed!!!

xx

LauraNorder Wed 22-Dec-10 23:23:50

Anyone else?

allnightlong Wed 22-Dec-10 23:28:26

I've bathed my turkey nigella style the past two years, afterwards I've used plain butter so as not to go ott on the flavoring.

Maria2007loveshersleep Thu 23-Dec-10 20:08:57

I'm also Nigella-ing the turkey this year. My only concern is the saltiness but from what I've understood it's not too bad?

KERALA1 Thu 23-Dec-10 20:14:05

Also brining and a christmas dinner making virgin. Luckily DH is on holiday and is taking his Christmas prep seriously. He has been following Nigella to the letter we hope she doesnt let us down grin You have shaken our maple syrup plans though.

battherat Thu 23-Dec-10 20:14:50

I am brining as we speak (type). I just used plain butter last year and it was lovely. Personally I think that it all gets just a little too much when you get the butters as well as all the brine flavours.

My brined turkey was a little too salty last year, but my hand slipped when I was putting the salt in the solution. This year it's definitely less salty!

sungirltan Thu 23-Dec-10 20:19:58

eh?? i am so behind. how do you do the butter - just smear butter all over it before it goes in the oven? humour me :-)

shongololo Thu 23-Dec-10 20:22:34

if you are nigella-ing, check the timings on the coking - hers are way off, and you will have raw turkey.

LauraNorder Thu 23-Dec-10 22:51:30

I might do a Gordon when it comes to the butter - butter, Rosemary, lemon and garlic underneath the skin. Turkey is soaking now, will butter him tomorrow night!!

Thanks for the tip about the timings!

allnightlong Thu 23-Dec-10 23:13:49

It doesn't taste salty at all and I'm not keen on a salty food so would have noticed.

GraceK Thu 23-Dec-10 23:28:46

Did it last year & it tasted lovely - not salty at all & v moist. Will be putting it into bathe tomorrow morning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now