Talk

Advanced search

Help - can I leave the giblets til Friday???

(9 Posts)
strongblackcoffee Wed 22-Dec-10 11:41:43

My lovely organic chicken has just arrived for xmas, but I have read the instructions which say to remove the giblets and store in the fridge (the chicken).

BUT... I am veggie, my husband is supposed to be dealing with and cooking the chicken - the thought of removing the gibs makes me shudder... and he's not going to be here until Friday morning...

Can I leave it in the fridge with the giblets in??? Please tell me yes...

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 22-Dec-10 12:57:51

You probably can leave them until then, but why can't you pull them out yourself. You are obviously not a rabid vegan (or you wouldn't have meat within half a mile of your house) so you have already accepted that your husband can eat meat. I bet you ask him to prepare vegetables, and he is not a vegetarian! You only need to pull them out and wrap them in clingfilm to keep them for making gravy later, YOU don't need to eat them! Sorry to sound harsh but REALLY!

Mutt Wed 22-Dec-10 12:59:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wow- what harsh responses!

I'm not au fait with giblets wink so i wouldn't like to advise you re: leaving them in- but do you have anyone else who could remove them for you- older children/Mum/friend?

If a vegeterian friend asked me to do this I wouldn't mind.

AMumInScotland Wed 22-Dec-10 13:15:05

Wow - harsh! She's a vegetarian, she's allowed to be unhappy about touching the carcase of a dead animal, even if she copes with it being in the house.

If you really can't face it, I doubt there'll be any harm done - frozen birds come with a pack of giblets inside and you can't budge them until they've defrosted. But maybe you could put on rubber gloves and do it? Would that be less unpleasant?

Mutt Wed 22-Dec-10 13:19:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

strongblackcoffee Wed 22-Dec-10 18:27:11

Dead mouse - no problem! I do actually cook meat for the kids, I haven't got a massive problem with it. But... giblets are the devils work, I'm going nowhere near them grin

Couldn't get back into thread earlier on, not ignoring all your kind and helpful words wink Anyway, I have left them in the chicken, I'm sure it'll be fine. Am now in Wales until Friday so it'll have to be...

MeMudmagnet Wed 22-Dec-10 18:37:00

They'll be in a bag. It's not like you have to gut it or anything!
I can't think it'd do any harm to leave them in though. I once cooked a turkey with the giblets still in blush Nobody died.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 22-Dec-10 20:48:22

I had to remove a half dead robin the cat brought in and played with an hour ago. But I'm not keen on giblets. Aren't they normally in a bag?

Rubber gloves, some Dutch courage ( recommend Prosecco ) and think of England. Hmm, that reminds me of something.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now