Talk

Advanced search

Curry recipe help! I have the ingredients list, but no recipe!!

(4 Posts)
fuzzypeach Mon 20-Dec-10 09:56:41

Hi
Please please can anyone help me - a friend cooked a gorgeous lamb curry for my dh and I a while ago, and he gave DH the recipe. I have been nagging DH to give it me as I was planning to make it for some friends tonight, and he finally did this morning, however it is literally just a list of ingredients, and I don't even know where to start!!
Ive never made a curry before so I don't know the best way to go about it and wondered if anyone could give me some advice using these ingredients?

2tb sugar (I have no idea if his tb means tsp or tbsp)
coconut milk
1 tb paste (what kind of paste?!!)
1 tb tamarind
1 cinnamon stick
cashewnuts
6 cardamon pods
2 bay leaves
onion

only instructions given are to put cashews onion and potato in 20 mins before end!!

Also the lamb is not listed as ingredient, any ideas what the best cut to use would be? And should tomatoes be in the ingredients too?!!

I would ask the person who gave the recipe but he has since moved to Australia!!!

Thanks in advance of any help grin

Wigeon Mon 20-Dec-10 14:56:38

I don't know what the paste is - I tend to use dried spices to make curries. So I shall suggest something below!

You can find tamarind paste in supermarkets, or a block of dried tamarind which you chop a bit off, and rehydrate by soaking in hot water for a bit.

No need to add tomatoes necessarily, although it would be a delicious variation to add them if you wanted.

If I was making this, I would:

Chop onion. Fry in veg oil until translucent.

Add in 1/2 teaspoon (tsp) of tumeric, 1 tsp of dried cumin (or 1tsp of crushed cumin seeds), 1tsp of dried coriander (or 1tsp of crushed coriander seeds), 1 tsp of tamarind paste. Fry with the onions for about 1 or 2 mins until fragrant.

Add in lamb. I would just buy cubed lamb from the supermarket! Stir all together and fry until browned.

Add a tin of coconut milk. Add bay leaf and cinnamon sticks. Bring to boil and then gently simmer for maybe 20 mins. Add veg stock if the curry seems to be getting a bit dry. Add 2 tsp sugar (I never add sugar to curries but if this is what your friend suggested, this is when I'd add it). I'd probably also add some salt, to taste.

Peel and cube the potato into small cubes. Add potato.

I would also personally dry fry the cashews (ie fry in an empty, non-stick saucepan) for a min or two, so they get a little bit browned and delicious.

Add cashews.

Cook until the potato is done - maybe another 10 mins.

The caveat here is that I am (a) not a professional cook and (b) not a curry-cooking expert, just an adequate amateur cook who makes curry quite often!

Hope this helps!

Wigeon Mon 20-Dec-10 14:57:44

Oh, and another thing - this will make quite a mild curry - if you want it a bit hotter then add something like fresh or dried chillis, or cayenne pepper, at the same time as the other dried spices.

tb Mon 20-Dec-10 17:26:32

I imagine the paste is curry paste, so you can choose how spicy you want it by the paste you use.

Tamarind - you can either soak it from a block and then sieve the puree you get, or buy a small jar from an asian grocer and just use a teaspoon - it's a seasoning.

As for cut of lamb, I would use shoulder. It's marbled with fat which helps the meat end up nice and soft and sort of flaky when it's cooked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now