Talk

Advanced search

Fondue and rosti recipes? Please!

(25 Posts)
tethersjinglebellend Sat 18-Dec-10 21:59:35

Have decided to do a Swiss night on Christmas eve. I don't know why. Perhaps the snow has got to me.

Anyway...

I have bought some raclette- does anyone have a good fondue recipe for this or one which I can adapt?

I also need a foolproof rosti recipe. What kind of potatoes? Do I parboil them first? Will they stick together or should I bind them with something?

Gah.

Please help, otherwise I will end up a victim of my own idiocy.

tethersjinglebellend Sat 18-Dec-10 23:24:35

Oh dear.

Anyone?

tethersjinglebellend Sun 19-Dec-10 11:29:33

This is not looking good.

tethersjinglebellend Sun 19-Dec-10 12:28:44

Well, thanks for your suggestions, tethersend- anyone else?

tethersjinglebellend Sun 19-Dec-10 13:20:56

I hate you all

chibi Sun 19-Dec-10 13:21:54

poor the tethers

can you not get recipe from the beeb website from a chef you trust?

MollieO Sun 19-Dec-10 13:28:50

I wouldn't bother with rosti. When I used to do fondues (last time in the 1980s!) I would serve it with cubes of crusty French bread, cherry tomatoes, mini gherkins, cocktail onions etc. Fondue would be a mix of Emmenthal and Gruyere made with white wine and kirsch.

winnybella Sun 19-Dec-10 13:29:46

usually it's just cheese, white wine (think small glass per kg of cheese) and perhaps bit of garlic. I would advise you to have a look on French websites for recipes (not British, sorry)

Have you got the fondue dish and the heater to put underneath?

Rosti-no clue.

MollieO Sun 19-Dec-10 13:31:07

If you are keen on rosti M&S do a nice ready made one.

BelligerentYhoULE Sun 19-Dec-10 16:11:03

Oh poor Tethers...

Can't help with recipes but do try roasting some of those little chantenay or chanteray or whatever they are called and some baby potatoes to dip in your fondue - they go so well together.

Are you doing chocolate fondue too? Now that I CAN help you with.

BelligerentYhoULE Sun 19-Dec-10 16:12:30

The word carrots absented itself from my previous post and was then seen running down the road cackling gleefully. Grabs it and puts it back in the sentence...

Takver Sun 19-Dec-10 16:47:16

Rosti dead easy - not sure why the lack of recipes. You just need a good heavy bottomed frying pan and to allow loads of time for it to cook. It heats up really well though so you can cook in advance & reheat.

Grate a load of raw potatoes, tip into muslin or a teatowel in a colander over a bowl, leave to drain then squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Add grated onion if you like to the mix. Season generously, as much salt as you would add if you were boiling the same amount of potatoes.

Melt plenty of fat in a heavy bottomed frying pan - butter traditional, I generally use olive oil as then veggies can eat it, but goose fat works very well and is delicious if you have it. Add the grated potatoes & flatten out.

Cook for a long time until done with no lid on.

tethersjinglebellend Sun 19-Dec-10 18:30:06

Oh wow, thanks!

Had given up and stropped off home with my ball grin

Thank you for the rosti recipe Takver, particularly wrt the timing. I will do a practice run first.

Can I substitute the raclette for either the emmenthal or gruyere? If so, which one?

I have a fondue set- as yet unused, so it could still be disastrous.

Takver Sun 19-Dec-10 18:47:43

Definitely do that. I found one recipe on the net that suggested cooking on each side for 6-8 minutes. Mine generally takes more like an hour plus!

tethersjinglebellend Sun 19-Dec-10 19:01:26

An hour? Blimey.

How thick do you make them? Do you do half an hour each side? You don't bind them with egg or anything? Does the pan start to smoke after a while?

Too many questions? grin

mummyshreddingnora Sun 19-Dec-10 19:09:42

a bit of grated cheese in a rosti is good too - although with fondue it could be a bit OTT

I have never found rosti's to take ages to cook - I squash them into a fried egg circle thing (to cook them neat) so do as individual portions - and I guess it depends on how thick you want it?

I would say the 6-8mins is for quite thin ones like I do!

Takver Sun 19-Dec-10 19:15:44

I make it quite thick and cook very slow (cool side of the Rayburn, so probably slower than slow gas), seems to come out more 'melty' IYKWIM. I do a whole panful at a time, it sounds like small individual ones are quicker, so maybe a better idea for you Is your recipe the same as mine, mummyshredding?

mummyshreddingnora Sun 19-Dec-10 19:37:31

pretty much yeah apart from a bit of grated cheese too - don't think I would put that in with the fondue as well though!

Takver Sun 19-Dec-10 19:42:42

I generally make dents in the top & stick in an egg per person to cook for the last little while, definitely rib-sticking stuff for cold weather.

tethersjinglebellend Sun 19-Dec-10 20:31:13

So neither of you parboil the potatoes first?

Takver Sun 19-Dec-10 20:46:52

I don't. Probably just because the recipe I had first didn't, though, rather than any more sophisticated reasoning.

figcake Sun 19-Dec-10 21:01:32

Why can't you just make it a raclette meal instead? I would have thought that raclette cheese would not work for making fondue, only raclette?

tethersjinglebellend Sun 19-Dec-10 21:02:34

A what now?

figcake Sun 19-Dec-10 21:26:12

http://entertaining.about.com/cs/cheeseinformation /a/raclette.htm

figcake Sun 19-Dec-10 21:27:47

sorry that didn't work did it? I think potatoes are pretty much along the right lines

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now