Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know how I can make golden rice from scratch?

(5 Posts)
Eddas Sat 18-Dec-10 20:12:22

Hi, dh and I have just eaten a yummy dinner which included golden rice. As usual I used a packetblush but wondered how I go about making it from scratch. Does anyone know?

thanks smile

sausagerollmodel Sat 18-Dec-10 22:34:11

I do it like this:

Add oil to pan. Warm oil. Add rice and stir, cook gently till transparent (about 5 mins). Add turmeric (how much depends on how golden you want your rice to be, I would add 1 tsp to 4 oz of rice to start with then another tsp if not colourful enough). Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for another 5 mins. Add boiling water, enough to cover rice plus 1 inch. Add 1 stock cube (any type). Bring rice to boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 15 mins.

If you want you can add chopped vegetables and/or slices sausages aftersimmering for 5 mins. Frozen peas, chopped red pepper or tinned sweetcorn are all good. Sometimes I add slices frankfurters or cashew nuts.

You can use real saffron but it's frighteningly expensive... turmeric is cheaper and doesn't have too strong a flavour.

Hope this helps!

sausagerollmodel Sat 18-Dec-10 22:37:28

Sorry meant to say keep watching it as it can stick to the pan, add more water if needed but only a little at a time as you don't want it swimming in water.

You can also add flaked smoked haddock ... or prawns ... <tummy rumbles>

Eddas Sun 19-Dec-10 08:17:27

oo thankyou SRM, I knew there must be a way to do it myself! Will make sure I have the right ingredients.

Do you use a particular type of rice?

Thank you smile

fatlazymummy Mon 20-Dec-10 15:44:13

My son made this at school. He used long grain rice [the easy cook variety]. I have made it a couple of times at home since, it is really easy to vary with different ingredients and flavours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now