Talk

Advanced search

Help needed - I'm in a "jam"!

(12 Posts)
Gloria42 Sat 18-Dec-10 16:11:48

Making a batch of chilli jam for Christmas gifts and got out the new jars to sterilise, only to realise there were no lids in the box!!
What can I do? Jam is bubbling away, can't get back to the shop until tomorrow...
Thought perhaps cover with tinfoil and put sterilised lid on tomorrow? Don't want to kill all of my relatives!

Hassledge Sat 18-Dec-10 16:20:12

I would have thought a bit of clingfilm over the top until tomorrow would be absolutely fine. If they're cool enough by the time you go to bed, stick them in the fridge overnight.

What recipe do you use?

Gloria42 Sat 18-Dec-10 16:25:07

Thanks, didn't want it to go to waste!
Not sure where the recipe came from, have had it for ages (it's handwritten not cut out so no clues there). Only recently bought a food processor to let me make it, is gorgeous!

ProfYaffle Sat 18-Dec-10 16:26:43

Have you got any greaseproof paper? Cut out circles and put them directly on top of the jam to keep the air out.

fluffyguineapigs Sat 18-Dec-10 16:27:13

Shouldn't be a problem; just cool, cover with greaseproof paper circle over the actual jam and clingfilm tonight.

It depends what type of chilli jam you are making (whether jelly or jam) - whether with fruit with a very high pectin level that will set - like apples.

If you are, I find that the jam doesn't need an airtight seal as they tend to store ok in a cool dark place for at least a few months.

If your jam is French style and fairly sloppy, I find that it needs an air tight seal to stop it spoiling fairly quickly, but it should be ok refrigerated with clingfilm tonight and then just sterilise and warm the lids tomorrow and put them on while still hot to create an air tight seal.

ps your chilli jam sounds nice! What did you make it with?

Gloria42 Sat 18-Dec-10 16:28:02

I have baking paper, is that ok?

KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 16:28:31

I probably wouldn't cover them until they were cool anyway

ProfYaffle Sat 18-Dec-10 16:30:18

Ooh, have never used baking paper. I imagine it'd be OK but not certain.

GlynistheMincePie Sat 18-Dec-10 16:31:58

Hi there

If possible I think I'd stop the jam cooking any further and continue when you have the lids to use.

Or put some cling film over the jars, making sure you get an airtight seal, then pop the screw top over the top of the cling film.

HTH

Gloria42 Sat 18-Dec-10 16:34:15

The jam itself is just peppers, chillis, ginger, garlic, sugar, tomatoes & vinegar. I can post the recipe?
It's kind of like sweet chilli sauce, but thick as strawberry jam...

Gloria42 Sat 18-Dec-10 16:51:42

Lots of suggestions, thank you.

I think I will go with the clingfilm then lid on top option. I like that the "seal" won't be broken

tb Sat 18-Dec-10 16:55:35

Cellophane will work if you dampen it slightly first before putting over the top and holding with an elastic band.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: