Talk

Advanced search

Is there a difference between a ham and a gammon?

(7 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sat 18-Dec-10 14:01:33

I want to have a go at cooking a ham. All I could find in the supermarket are gammons. <clueless>

DingDongMaryBSonHigh Sat 18-Dec-10 14:05:55

Gammon is a cut of ham - a very good one IMHO. Go for the gammon!

VivaLeBeaver Sat 18-Dec-10 14:06:44

thank you.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 18-Dec-10 14:07:39

I did know it was all from a pig, just wan't sure if gammon was cured to give it a non-ham taste or something. I've never had gammon and chips in the pub!

DingDongMaryBSonHigh Sat 18-Dec-10 17:13:14

No, gammon is delicious and is a more tender cut

goodlifemummy Sun 19-Dec-10 05:23:14

I thought that an uncooked ham was a gammon, once its cooked, its a ham?? <might have made that up?!>

bacon Sun 19-Dec-10 12:49:42

Both ham and gammon are cut from the hind leg of a pig.

The meat is the same but the preparation and treatment is different. Ham and gammon are both cured meats ie salted - that is why its called processed like bacon. And should be eaten sparingley.

The whole Ham is meat that is cut from the carcass and then treated. Gammon is a piece of meat that is cut from the carcass after the brining treatment. Usually a section of the leg which has had the bone taken out - boned and rolled.

There seems to be some confusion over cooked and uncooked - not the case. You can buy sliced cooked gammon in packs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: