Talk

Advanced search

help! christmas dinner for veggie son!

(12 Posts)
eragon Thu 16-Dec-10 14:17:45

my eldest son is a veggie that eats fish, and i plan weekly meals around this, however on christmas day i dont know what to give him.

he has suggested a nut roast thingy, but have another son with many food allergies, so dont want to bring nuts and yeast extract in to our home.

any ideas ?

anyone?

tethersjinglebellend Thu 16-Dec-10 14:19:51

How about Delia's parsnip roulade? Tis delish. Will find the recipe.

tethersjinglebellend Thu 16-Dec-10 14:20:24

Here it is

SheWillBeLoved Thu 16-Dec-10 14:40:52

Why not do some nice roast salmon? He could have that with all the other usual christmas trimmings.

Ktay Thu 16-Dec-10 14:47:31

MIL cooked me that roulade a few Christmases ago - it's lovely

Mushroom wellington? Portobello mushroom stuffed with brie/blue cheese wrapped in puff pastry.

snownelly Sat 18-Dec-10 16:55:37

Was going to say sainsburies do a butternut squash nut roast - otherwise Quorn roast if he likes 'fake' meat?

BelligerentYhoULE Sat 18-Dec-10 17:00:34

Does he like butternut squash?

Halve a bns and scoop out the seeds and chuck. Slash the flesh and put it flesh ide up in a roasting dish. Drizzle with oil and s&p and roast for a bit.

Scoop out the part cooked flesh and fry it with some chopped onions and garlic, then add cooked rice, cous cous, sun dried tomatoes, chopped mushrooms, cheese, whatever he fancies really. Stuff it into the squash, top with grated cheese and roast again.

LeMarron Sat 18-Dec-10 17:40:41

I am not sure if this sounds very festive, but every Sunday DH and I have a 'veggie roast' dinner. It is roast potatos, cauliflower cheese, green beans, roasted parnsips, apple sauce, vegetarian gravy with soy sauce in it to make it taste 'meaty'. roasted sweet pot or butternut pumpkin and paxo stuffing (sometimes mixed with chestnut puree) rolled into tiny little balls, flash fried then roasted.

It tastes amazing. I know that many vegetarians dislike just being given 'sides', but honestly, we eat this every sunday, and my mother - a committed meat eater - also eats it happily. You do not really feel like you are missing out.

This year we are only cooking turkey for the ILs... this is what we eat.

Blu Sat 18-Dec-10 17:47:23

Some sort of mushroom pie?
I have made a steamed pud, like a steak and kidney pud - with veg suet well studded with parsley and chopped herbs, line a basin, put in roughly chopped field mushrooms, porcini soaked in red wine or brandy, other mushrooms as desired (and chestnuts if ok with your other son), make a rich gravy sauce from red wine, veg stock, mushroom ketchup, loads of balck pepper, bay leaf, parsley, thicken with a bit of flour, and steam like a steak and kidney pud. Maybe for less time.

Anything that will go with all the other turkey trimmings - call me picky but I think salmon would be horrible with red cabbage, sage and onion stuffing, parsnips and roasties!

BelligerentYhoULE Sat 18-Dec-10 18:18:51

Salmon would indeed be horrible with the normal sides I think!

That mushroom pudding sounds fantastic - oh how I wish my dds would eat mushrooms.

I also saw a Simon Rimmer recipe for mushroom and stilton pies, which looked really good. Again, no point me cooking it as the dds won't eat it.

Tbh we usually just have the sides, as Lemarron suggests. The girls like the stuffing best!

lunavix Mon 20-Dec-10 18:43:02

My semi-veggie ds loves stuffed peppers (they sell them in waitrose stuffed with cheese and rice). Other than that, I know you were avoiding nuts but a MNer posted a recipe a few years ago for a cashew nut wellington. I regularly dish it up and it could convert the hardiest meat eater.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now