Talk

Advanced search

Need ideas for homemade savoury nibbles!

(13 Posts)
RememberToPlaywiththeKids Wed 15-Dec-10 20:39:34

So far I have

cheese twists
spicy nuts

I need more!!

BelligerentYhoULE Wed 15-Dec-10 20:43:15

Home popped salted popcorn?

Olives done in lemon juice etc?

Those little spicy pepper thingies stuffed with cream cheese?

I can give you my spicy feta dip recipe if you want it.

Smithagain Wed 15-Dec-10 20:43:29

Blinis topped with a dollop of cream cheese and a little bit of smoked salmon. Dead simple and they look pretty. Blinis are little Russian pancake thingys which you can get in the supermarket somewhere in the fridges.

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Wed 15-Dec-10 21:08:35

Thank you both! It needs to be 'dry' things that are more store cupboard like than canape like to give as gifts in a hamper for someone who doesn't like sweet things. Sorry for not being clear in OP - trying to do too many things at once blush

kalo12 Wed 15-Dec-10 21:12:31

cheese
chutney

GentleOtter Wed 15-Dec-10 21:15:36

Cheese cubes and pineapple on cocktail sticks

cocktail sausages on sticks

stick them to half a grapefruit

<70's retro nibbles>

Maria2007loveshersleep Wed 15-Dec-10 21:44:35

Little individual cheese pies (very popular in greek cooking): something like this.

They're a bit of a fuss to make though, but not too much, & they're absolutely delicious.

thereisthesnowball Thu 16-Dec-10 09:19:03

Nairn's do mini oatcakes: great with mature cheddar and some nice chutney (I like Waitrose's redcurrant and red onion). Or cream cheese and any number of toppings.

Don't M+S do mini tartlet cases? You could put anything in those.

Smoked almonds are delicious.

Or you could get a jar of posh pate - tons of it around atm - and some cornichons (mini crunchy gherkins).

Or some foie gras pate with a brioche loaf and some fig jam.

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 17-Dec-10 13:40:01

oooh maria those do look lovely!

I really only want to include homemade things that can just be nibbled away at over a few days/week or so.

I can think of loads of yummy sweet things!

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 17-Dec-10 13:40:44

and I've just found a recipe for oat cakes so thank you for that idea!

June2009 Sun 19-Dec-10 12:11:03

Oh would you mind sharing your oat cake recipe please?

We have guests next week and I'm planning on making some blinis and smoked salmon

Maybe also some kind of spelt bread cut in square or circles and a slice of boiled egg and guacamole, herbs to decorate on top.

Also thinking of picking up a few bits of sushi...x

Montifer Sun 19-Dec-10 12:15:46

Tiropitakia look delicious, do you think the filling would work in filo pastry?

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Tue 21-Dec-10 13:16:47

sorry for late posting!! I haven't made them yet but this is the recipe that I found....

FOR THE OAT BISCUITS
• 100g plain flour
• 100g oatmeal
• pinch salt
• pinch golden caster sugar
• 1 egg yolk
• 50g butter

1. To make the biscuits, mix the flour and oatmeal with the other dry ingredients. Add the butter and egg yolk with 1 tbsp or so of water, if necessary, to bring together.
2. Roll out the dough very thinly and cut into any shape you fancy. Chill for 20 minutes. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Bake the biscuits for 8-10 minutes until very lightly coloured. Cool on a wire rack. Serve the pears with the biscuits and parmesan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: