Talk

Advanced search

I have just made a horrible casserole thing. If I tell you what I have done will someone tell me how I can salvage it?

(10 Posts)
eshermummy Tue 14-Dec-10 14:35:30

I was trying to make a chrorizo/chicken casserole/stew thing.
So In browned off the chicken pieces then put them to one side.
Then I fried some chorizo (chopped) in the same oil as chicken - the bits looked too burnt and horrid so I took them out and fried 2 chopped onions and 3 gloves of garlic in the chorizo-y oil. Seemed ok. Then I added about a pint of stock and added chicken pieces back in.

It all tasted far too garlicky and horrid so I added a carton of passata, brought it back up to the boil and left it to simmer.

It is still nasty!

I think I should have added some flour at some point but when? Is the garlic the problem?
Aaagh it is horrible and none of them are going to eat it - shall I just fish the chicken pieces out in a bit and serve with mash?
How can I salvage this?

dreamingofsun Tue 14-Dec-10 14:40:04

have you put any herbs in it? what about some oregano? if i add cornflour i mix it in a little cold water first or it goes lumpy. is it burnt - if so i think fishing chicken out is maybe your best bet as you cannot disguise burnt. i usually put chopped up peppers in this when i do it.

dreamingofsun Tue 14-Dec-10 14:40:56

grated cheese on top of things when you serve up disguises quite a lot of things i've found. and obviously don't tell anyone its gone wrong - they prob won't notice

Scootergrrrl Tue 14-Dec-10 14:45:18

Is it too strong and garlicky? You could chuck some Philadelphia in to mellow it down

orangina Tue 14-Dec-10 14:46:01

I make a casserole v similar to this and it is normally delicious. I also add snoked paprika which gives it a certain depth. I think it sounds as though your garlic was a bit rancid (I threw away a few heads of garlic from tesco a few weeks ago that were really bitter and yucky....). Not sure if the smoked paprika will help w the yucky garlic.... what if you chuck some sour cream in? Will that soften the garlic at all do you think?

Good luck!

orangina Tue 14-Dec-10 14:47:24

btw, when I make this, I flour the chicken pieces before I brown in butter... helps thicken up the sauce.

Also, if I cook it in advance, refrigerate, and then remove congealed fat (ew!) off top before re-heating it, it becomes v melt in the mouth and delicious...... I also tend to slow cook it, about 2 hours at 150 degrees.....

annoyingdevil Tue 14-Dec-10 14:52:44

Why don't you just leave it to simmer for the next few hours - it should thicken up and sweeten naturally. I would add a teaspoon of sugar too. I would be reluctant to add additional herbs if it is already too garlicky.

a splash of cream towards the end will also make it more palatable

OhLittleTownOfShirley Tue 14-Dec-10 14:53:28

Is it bitter?

'cos if you burnt the chorizo then you can probably taste that awful acrid burnt garlic flavour, which is RANK.

TBH IME once you have that taste there's not much hope sad

I would fish the chicken out, make a quick tomato sauce with tin of toms, onions, garlic, white wine, and herbs and serve it with rice.

eshermummy Tue 14-Dec-10 14:57:02

Thanks all
It sounds like I did all the right things when it is written down but I think maybe like orangina says the garlic and parika is a bit bitter.
I think I might fish out the cooked chicken pieces and then play around with making the sauce a bit more palatable - have some philly in the fridge so may try a bit of that.
Otherwise I think I may re-use the chicken in something nice and safe like a pasta bake!

eshermummy Tue 14-Dec-10 14:59:11

Will also add a spoonful of sugar - thanks for tip....however am thinking now that the bitter taste is coz I burnt it so think it may be for the bin!
Thanks again all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now