Talk

Advanced search

Biscuit recipe for "shaped" biscuits -non-spreading type!

(12 Posts)
whooosh Tue 14-Dec-10 11:53:54

Need to make some shaped biscuits for decorating.Have cutters and oven at the ready but can't find a tasty,non-spreading biscuit recipe.

Anyone?

RiojaLover75 Tue 14-Dec-10 11:59:28

<waits too>

AvengingGerbil Tue 14-Dec-10 12:02:23

Nigella has a good recipe in Domestic Goddess in the children's party section (I think). You need to use less salt than she recommends, but they do hold shape and taste good.

I'll try to find my copy if no-one else has one to hand.

itshailingitspouring Tue 14-Dec-10 12:05:33

bookmarking this, but a tip I got here which works is to put the cut-out biscuits in the fridge (on the trays) for about 15 minutes before you cook them - really helps.

The Nigella recipe is fine, doesn't spread - not all that tasty though...

whooosh Tue 14-Dec-10 12:08:01

Good tip...when I get a recipe wink

RiojaLover75 Tue 14-Dec-10 12:09:24

I have the Nigella Feast recipe and not that tasty and they definitely do spread even if you leave it in the fridge for an hour as recommended.

easilydistracted Tue 14-Dec-10 12:12:33

I'm going to give these two recipes a go next weekend -- can't vouch for them yet but they look good!

whooosh Tue 14-Dec-10 12:32:36

Numpty that I am,have just found these www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4506/birthday-biscuits -

lostinwales Tue 14-Dec-10 12:41:48

I 'made up' a recipe last week which held shape really well, elephant trunks and all! ('cos everyone has festive elephants don't they!)

350g plain flour
225g butter
110g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1 clementine (or orange flavoured fruit!)
1tsp all spice.

Rubbed the butter into the flour then added sugar, egg and juice/zest of the clementine, tsp of all spice and kneaded the dough until it went glossy, rolled it out and it was lovely, quite festive with the zesty bits in and not too strong orangey flavour.

15 mins in medium heat oven (about 170) and leave them to cool so they harden up fully.
They looked like they would ice beautifully but we didn't have any icing left!

domesticsluttery Tue 14-Dec-10 12:45:32

I always use the Nigella recipe (I think they are called butter cut out biscuits?) and don't find that they spread at all.

whooosh Wed 15-Dec-10 14:27:40

LostinWales!!! You are kidding me??

I need the recipe for just that-elephants.
My dd has launched an appeal here and selling elephant biscuits is our challenge this week!

Spooky

lostinwales Wed 15-Dec-10 15:11:02

See, I told you everyone DOES have a need for festive elephant shaped biscuits, that recipe works perfectly! You could probably replace some of the dry ingredients with cocoa powder for a pleasingly brown elephant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now