Talk

Advanced search

Is a pricey Kelly Bronze worth the extra £s?

(6 Posts)
themymble Tue 14-Dec-10 08:54:01

We always used to have Goose, but last year we decided to get a Turkey and ordered a Kelly Bronze on the internet. We cooked it really quickly as per the instructions and it was delicious! It was also brilliant having lots left over for the boxing day etc. We have decided to have Turkey again this year, but just wondering whether a cheaper free range Turkey from our local butchers would be as good if cooked in the same way, or whether the Kelly Bronze (about £70) last year is worth the extra money?

What do you think?

sethstarkaddersmum Tue 14-Dec-10 09:03:10

well it depends on your butcher!
the Kelly bronze is slower growing; I'm sure you could find out how old your butcher's birds were when they were killed. And how much do your butcher's ones cost? I mean, you might be saving £20 but not the whole £70 IYSWIM.
I'm sure there is an element of paying for the label with a Kelly bronze but OTOH they are reliable.

I would probably go for a good local bird if they were equally slow growing and well produced but equally they may not be....

themymble Tue 14-Dec-10 09:25:19

Thank you sethstarkaddersmum,

My Butcher is not a fancy one.....so far I have managed to glean that they are free range and that is about it. I will go and press him for more info...

Need to do it today as it is the last day to order a KB!

Reality Tue 14-Dec-10 09:27:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sethstarkaddersmum Tue 14-Dec-10 09:29:20

good luck. If the butcher can't tell you then that means they are probably not very good and you should go for the Kelly Bronze.

themymble Tue 14-Dec-10 12:51:09

Jeepers! £140! Suddenly £70 doesn't seem bad at all! I am going to go with the Kelly Bronze - it was so delicious last year, and they deliver, so I won't have to travel the length of the country with a Turkey in the boot, along with two baby guineapigs, sledge, cases of wine, small child, presents etc! Thanks for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now