Talk

Advanced search

How do I cook sticky toffee pudding / onion pie from frozen?

(7 Posts)
redgecko Sun 12-Dec-10 18:02:36

In a burst of efficiency, I have pre-made and frozen the cake base of a sticky toffee pudding for an upcoming dinner. Can anyone tell me how I should heat it up for serving? I was thinking I should defrost the cake base, then heat in a low-ish oven (temp?) then serve with freshly made toffee sauce. Is this right? Some recipes seem to suggest pouring some of the sauce over the cake base whilst it's heating in the oven. Which is better?

I also blind-baked a pastry case for an onion and cheese tart and now need to assemble and cook. Should I simply let the pastry case defrost, then fill it and cook as normal?

Thank in advance for any advice - I'm new to the cooking in advance / being prepared thing!

Slobbadan Sun 12-Dec-10 18:05:59

i heated mine in the micro for a min!

redgecko Sun 12-Dec-10 18:16:25

Slobbadan - unfortunately won't fit in the microwave. It's massive (for 15 people)!

tb Sun 12-Dec-10 18:37:18

Re the pastry case, I'd just fill it and cook from frozen.

As for the pudding, you could cut it into portions, so that you have a size you could microwave defrost. The danger with using the oven is that you could dry it out a bit - then you'd need more toffee sauce.

Are there any of the recipes that suggest methods for freezing after cooking, and what to do on thawing?

Final thought, wrap in foil before warming in over, would that work?

Slobbadan Sun 12-Dec-10 19:20:02

Cut into portions, place on a plate (pile them up) and then micro. I made my first sticky toffee pud yesterday morning and we had it last night and i had to re heat it for 7 (i also nuked the toffee sauce) and it was totall fine and still moist.

Actually have a pice left for me and DP for ater xfactor.

redgecko Sun 12-Dec-10 20:53:09

Thanks guys. Will try the microwave method for the sticky toffee pudding.

tb - do you think it would be OK to cook the onion tart in the frozen pastry case at the same temperature as I would have used with a non-frozen pastry case?

tb Mon 13-Dec-10 22:10:29

Yes, I'd cook the tart at the same temp. The pastry might be a little paler, but would think that that would be the only difference. Tbh, unless the pastry is super thick I would think it would be just the same as normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now