Talk

Advanced search

Annabel Karmel v. HV

(9 Posts)
DullWomenHaveImmaculateHomes Sun 12-Dec-10 12:36:51

When I was talking to my HV about giving DD (now 7mo) toast I said presumably I should give her wholegrain. HV said no, give her white because it's easier to digest.

I've just read in Annabel Karmel's book that pasta, flour, bread and rice should be wholegrain because it contains more nutrients.

Who should I listen to?

TIA

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sun 12-Dec-10 13:41:10

I was told ( albeit 7 years ago now ) that little ones should be given a 50/50 mix of wholemeal/white as the nutrients are good in the wholemeal but also it is considerably more filling than white, whihc is not so good when you are trying to give a good balance of protein/fruit and veg as well as the carbs.

I wouldn't give wholegrain toast with seeds etc in as these are indigestible and just come out in the nappy.

aseriouslyblondemoment Sun 12-Dec-10 13:42:31

it's a while since i had LO's but i always went for white rice,pasta etc.
but i compromised with bread by using 50/50,best of both types.
as you're obv.giving dd home cooked food then she'll be getting more than enough nutrients imho

MoonUnitAlpha Sun 12-Dec-10 13:44:03

Actually I'm sure I've read that wholegrain isn't good for small children as they can't digest it properly, so they shouldn't have brown rice, wholemeal pasta etc.

lukewarmcupofmulledwine Sun 12-Dec-10 13:47:12

I've heard both points of view so not sure. I try to buy/make a variety - white/brown/best of both/with/without seeds - just so they don't get bored and go off it, or don't get too fussy and refuse it just because it's not the bread they normally have. Obv. nothing with big seeds in for a weaning baby though. I wouldn't worry about it too much - I just wouldn't go out of my way to cook them stuff with wholemeal pasta or brown rice as well!

thisisyesterday Sun 12-Dec-10 13:49:23

yes, i have also read that white is easier for them to digest.
saying that, mine all had wholemeal everything because i didn't find this out until recetnyl!!!

annabel karmel purees all her crap doesn't she? so maybe that's why she says it?
sorry, i don't rate AK much tbh

your 7 month old should be able to eat basically what you eat so i shouldn't worry overly about getting special stuff in for her

i would go for a mix. if you normally buy brown bread then use that. and use white rice/pasta
think it's fine as long as
she isn't have tons anyway

Seona1973 Sun 12-Dec-10 14:41:24

a mix of white/wholemeal is ok but children shouldnt have a fully wholegrain diet till the age of 5.

DullWomenHaveImmaculateHomes Mon 13-Dec-10 07:34:32

Thanks all.
I;m giving her baby pasta anyway which is white so the only wholemeal she's really having is bread which I'm happy to alternate.

Comments much appreciated smile

tiokiko Mon 13-Dec-10 12:33:08

Agree with other posters re mix of wholemeal/white, sounds like you're fine.

But I think baby pasta is a massive rip-off - I used to either buy normal soup pasta (little star shapes or tiny macaroni etc) or just chop up bigger pieces so they'd be OK for DD.

De Cecco do loads of tiny ones - stars, farfalle etc - which are about 1/3 of the price of AK baby pasta.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now